Heater confusion Sprint

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:00 am

Bob,
In regard to my previous post, here are a couple of photos of what it would look like fitted the way myself and Brian Buckland have fitted the heater. You can see, that if the flaps are fitted toward the dash, they will be tucked in behind the underdash trims. Because the louvres, behind the flaps, would then be pointing toward the dash and up behind the underdash panels and not into the footwells, most of your warm/hot air will be directed behind the dash. Not a good thing for things located there, and no warmth for your feet.
As for not being able to reach the flaps, my car has been back on the road, in this configuration, for four years and I have not had any trouble reaching the flaps.
Cheers,
Colin.

bloodknock wrote:Thats what I was thinking, looks more sensible. This heater is going in and out more times than..............Do the demister windscreen vents look right to you??
Regards
Bob
Attachments
P1020043.JPG and
P1020042.JPG and
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:07 am

You have it right
Attachments
image.jpg and
image.jpg and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:41 am

The heater box was totally disassembled to be restored, and has been stripped and reassembled a number of times since whilst trying to figure out how it should fit! Perhaps its the tight convolutions of the demister vent hoses which is hurting my brain. You see, though Ive made sure that the vent louvres sit the way Brians book says, they seem to be at an awkward angle to be fed from the heater hoses when its installed. Is this another Lotus FIFIOSRI?!
Regards
Bob
I've got a deadline, at 73, I want to finish it before I die!
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 am

Colin's pictures are interesting and look "correct". Has my heater been assembled back to front, or is mine the "correct" way, but not necessarily the best way? Incidentally, if you look at the photo which is directly side-on, you will msee that the vanes on mine aren't at an angle but are straight. Odd.

Mike
Attachments
Heater 2.jpg and
Heater 1.jpg and
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:49 am

Bob,
Not sure what you mean by the louvres being fed from the heater hoses. Both demister hoses and hot air vents are fed from air that enters the centre of the heater, passes through the matrix and then exits via the hoses and vents.
Colin.

quote="bloodknock"]The heater box was totally disassembled to be restored, and has been stripped and reassembled a number of times since whilst trying to figure out how it should fit! Perhaps its the tight convolutions of the demister vent hoses which is hurting my brain. You see, though Ive made sure that the vent louvres sit the way Brians book says, they seem to be at an awkward angle to be fed from the heater hoses when its installed. Is this another Lotus FIFIOSRI?!
Regards
Bob[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:17 pm

In that instance I'm talking abot the dashboard demister outlets. I have configured them so that the wider slots are towards the outside of the car as per Buckland, but the angle of the inlet is such that the connevting pipe is an awkward difficult fit. My earlier photos show the problem I think.
Regards
Bob
DSC03382.JPG and
DSC03384.JPG and
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:38 pm

Mike, I think your end plates with the flaps have been put on the wrong side. (read on)

Here are another picture, but now i'm questioning if i put it back together the wrong way :oops:

Does anyone have a picture of a heater box that has not been stripped and refutbished?

James
Attachments
photo 5.JPG and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Does anyone have a picture of a heater box that has not been stripped and refurbished?
Yes, let's have the correct answer. It seems a number of us are unsure about "which way is really the North"! (Who knows which literary character said that?)
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 pm

100_2407.JPG and
Is this any help?
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Mike
That's the correct layout, exactly the same as mine
Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 am

Well......maybe. I asked pretty much the same question last year, and it went around and around the mulberry bush a few times (but in a good way). The definitive answer was that there was no definitive answer

lotus-chassis-f36/heater-vent-orientation-there-definitive-answer-t29170.html
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:48 am

Now thats what mine looks like Mick. James, your dash vents look totally different to mine, as does the dash top louvres.
Regards
Bob
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:42 am

Bob
Just been looking through my archives and found this which may be of some help.
[img]
DSC_0003.JPG and
Passenger side (RHD)
/img]
The little white knob thingy is missing but i'm sure you can see where it would fit.
Just goes to shown what damage mice can do to a wiring loom. :shock: i've got more but thats another story.
Regards Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bloodknock » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:17 pm

oooh nasty! should get a hunter killer like mine, keeps mine and the nearby neighbours garages mice free zones.
Attachments
DSC01243.JPG and
bloodknock
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Here's mine with the dash valences removed:

Heater_Connectors.JPG and

I had no idea the side plates flipped up 90 degrees so you could warm your feet instead of defogging the screen, just happened to grab the white handle to see why it was there! :lol:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: