Plates between Engine and gearbox

PostPost by: patrics » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi, it?s necessary to be careful with the tolerances in this area

I fitted new dowel pins which I brought from Burton Engineering and when fitted with the plates there was approximately a 1 mm gap between bell housing and engine ? I had two turn the dowels down by approximately 2mm to get it all to fit.
I guess there is nothing wrong with removing plates on a racer but you must pay attention two the tolerances
Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:29 pm

ricarbo wrote:Since the hole for the unused third bolt sticks out and is close the the frame, you may want to cut that bit off.

The "ear" for the third starter bolt does foul the frame and therefore must be trimmed off. Original Lotus parts have a vestigial half hole left after they trimmed this ear back.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:04 am

I have the Standard lotus chassis in my Elan and use the later 3 bolt pre engage starter from the ealry 70's ford range of cars. I just secure it with 2 bolts and leave the third one empty as no matching place on the bellhousing. It works perfectly ( you only really need 2 bolts, colin chapman did not waste money on items you did not need :lol: ) and the unused starter third bolt lug does not foul anything. I suspect a 3 bolt sandwich plate would also be ok even without removal of the the third lug, but then chassis and body tolerances are pretty loose and you may have fouling problems on some cars.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:05 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:The "ear" for the third starter bolt does foul the frame and therefore must be trimmed off.

I just fitted a three holed plate to my S3 and the lug did not foul the chassis, however it did not fit correctly across the slave cylinder as it obscured the pipe and bleed fittings.
I had to trim the plate slightly to get it in the correct place adjacent to the slave cylinder.
Attachments
1.JPG and
2.JPG and
3.JPG and
4.JPG and
5.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

rgh0 wrote:I suspect a 3 bolt sandwich plate would also be ok even without removal of the the third lug, but then chassis and body tolerances are pretty loose and you may have fouling problems on some cars.

What I found was that installing the block and gearbox as an assembly, the ear for the third bolt on the steel plate won't go past the inward plunge of the aperture in the standard Lotus chassis. If you slide the gearbox in first, hang the plate off the bell housing second and then install all the block the third ear does not foul but pokes through the aperture in the chassis. I trimmed the ear to match the standard Lotus part as my preference is to install the engine and gearbox as an assembly. The photos show the plate after I trimmed the third bolt ear off. The bell housing in the photo is part of the Alan Voight T9 conversion.
Attachments
DSC_0004.jpg and
DSC_0003.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:17 pm

Wiki?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:25 pm

My car now has a Lotus Replacement Chassis. I had a problem with the starter clashing with the chassis in the area shown in the picture posted by Russ above. Some time ago I was advised “never throw anything away” I went and checked my old chassis which continues to rust outside. The hole is in a different place!

Hope this helps

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:32 pm

RichardHawkins wrote: Some time ago I was advised “never throw anything away”

I bet this advise was not from your wife... then 'll get my coat
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 pm

Quite right, not advice from my beloved, but a more experienced Lotus owner.

I know our cars are hand made, but the number of items that don’t fit never ceases to amaze me, even items that I have not replaced do not fit correctly, I suspect they never fitted correctly and I am discovering original errors.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: