Stripped Sump Plug

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Wed May 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Merci, Gary. No need for the photo though - I think everyone would have trusted your memory.

What's the grass in the picture, though - I thought you did everything indoors :)

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed May 02, 2012 9:35 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:Merci, Gary. No need for the photo though - I think everyone would have trusted your memory.

What's the grass in the picture, though - I thought you did everything indoors :)

@+

Vernon

I didn't know, I had to pull a pan out of the stack of assorted sumps and find the wrench, it was out in the shed. The photo is on the front entry porch. I also looked in the parts manual to see if it was listed with a thread size (it wasn't). While I had the thought in my mind, I pilled out the sump plug out of the rope seal pan that I stripped off the engine last week and looked for a nut to fit, I only had up to 5/8 unf and it was to small so I just eyeballed it with the tape measure and it looked to be 3/4 but was to fine of a pitch to be a unf thread. So if anyone else knows what it is that would put more info all in one topic.

Back in 1981 I bought a 1969 Ford Fairlane with a 302 V8, it had a rubber sump plug, It was inserted into the stripped out sump hole. I went to change the oil and tried to extract the plug, seems that a special tool was needed to stretch the plug and then it was withdrawn. I didn't know so I ripped it out with brute force. It kind of looked like this one except it was a bit longer :) .

garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Wed May 02, 2012 10:35 pm

It seems from this New Zealand catalogue that (i) the hex size of a sump plug is no guide to the thread diameter and (ii) this firm supplies "oversize" plugs, e.g. the oversize 1/2" 20 tpi plug is 20 tpi but 0.515" diam.
Might be useful if you lived in New Zealand.
http://www.acl.co.nz/Ecat/images/Drain%20Plug%20Catalogue.pdf
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed May 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Or, if in the UK, this might help:

http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/threads.htm

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rick deregus » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:11 pm

hi im new on here,i was just having a read ive done a lot with x/flow engines and sumps over the years and i come up with a real good fix for knackard sump threads,the sump needs to be off the engine,I made a slim boss that welds on the sump i will post a picture if i can work out how to post up pictures on here,then you can use the later sump bolt with a better thread, :)
rick deregus
New-tral

Previous

Total Online: