Water Free Coolant

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:02 am

Just back from the Classic Car SHow at the NEC in Brimingham. A company called Evans was extolling the virtues of their water free coolant and how you could run a low cooling pressure system. I know there has been some discussion on the forum a while ago but has anybody tried it recently?

Carl

4 Elans at the show this year, the +2 looked pretty original but the 3 Elans were all modified to a greater or lesser extent.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:18 am

http://www.evanscooling.uk.com/ClassicCool180.html

Lots of promises. But no prices; any idea of price?

It also does not say what it is; why would they not say what is in it? If its pure alcohol how will that affect the ally castings and seals?

In the FAQ:

Q. What is Evans Waterless Coolant made of?
A. Evans Waterless Coolant is a patented liquid comprising of blended Glycols and a proprietary inhibitor package

That's a bit vague. I would want to know how it differs from traditional water, ethylene glycol mix.

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:26 am

Never thought to ask the price.. Did a quick search it's about ?60 for 5 Litres and they do suggest you use their Prep fluid first to clean out your old system (an extra ?35) so about ?100 to carry out the conversion!! So not a cheap option

http://classicoils.absolutewebhosting2. ... c-Cool-180?

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Water is pretty much the best coolant you can get from specific heat capacity point of view. Plus it has low viscosity so easy to pump. It would be a backward step to eliminate the water content completely.

Reading the advertsising blurb, it appears to be advertising mumbo jumbo. Eg eliminates hose stresses. Sugest that if the hoses start leaking, correct solution would be to replace the hoses!

Regards
G
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:07 pm

Jason1 wrote:Q. What is Evans Waterless Coolant made of?
A. Evans Waterless Coolant is a patented liquid comprising of blended Glycols and a proprietary inhibitor package

At the Evans website they present water as causing corrosion because it contains oxygen. Hmmm, ethylene and propylene glycol have no shortage of oxygen.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Stick with distilled water and antifreeze. I use 50 percent of each.

If your engine is running hot then you have other problems.

Do I remember correctly that Evens states nothing else can be run in your cooling system...........but them?, if you switch over.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 pm

How have we managed for the last century or so? :twisted:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:32 pm

nebogipfel wrote:How have we managed for the last century or so? :twisted:

Beats me! I looked at it too and decided that there was one product that is probably not required. Decent coolant management will do me. I can find something else to spend ?60.00 quid on..

I did find that no one was stocking the 20/60 millers classic synth oil though..

Hey ho..Enjoyed the show.. :wink: Sore on the feet though is it no... etc etc.... :lol: :lol:

Could not get the train carriage door to open on the way back to Berkswell and we landed up a bit .. err ..'further' down the tracks.
next train back was over an hour later. :roll: feckin pest that was.. About 10 folks involved and no buses or taxis, so I scrounged a lift! Guy was brand new and told us where the best curry house was too..

Great curry later then... :D :D
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Bummer, we could have met up :D . Great show though and I didn't even spend a lot of money :? :-) :? Did you see the ?50K MGB GT! Makes Elans an even better buy.

Carl

Suggestion for next year. Park at Coventry and take the train, ?2.00 to park, ?2.20 for a return ticket, much less hassle than trying to get into the NEC and park.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:43 pm

"Snake oil" :twisted:

John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 pm

[/quote] . Suggestion for next year. Park at Coventry and take the train, ?2.00 to park, ?2.20 for a return ticket, much less hassle than trying to get into the NEC and park.[/quote]

We did just that but not from Coventry. Balsall common has a good travel inn about 1/2 ml from station (Berkswell) which has free parking and costs ?1.80 return and under 10 min trip.

Costs at NEC.... I understand Car parking charges were up (again !! :twisted: ) and catering?? Well how about ?4.20 for a sausage roll (No.. I didn't) and ?2.00 odd for a bottle of water (ditto) Carol and I never spent a penny with them. Apart from entry tickets at ?17.50 each... :evil: :evil: (Senior tickets were still available)... :wink: Oh!! & tea was ?1.70... not too bad.

Our lunch was supplied by the Travel Inn... :roll: :wink: I never eat much 1st thing so after a small plate of bacon and eggs we asked if they could do us a take out sandwich. We had two each!! One with sausage and the other with Bacon and egg again. Toasted and wrapped in tinfoil.. Tea was courtesy of the Hotel too. All for the cost of 1 conti breakie and 1 cooked. ?13.00. Great value..
Last edited by alexblack13 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 pm

alexblack13 wrote:We did just that but not from Coventry. Balsall common has a good travel inn about 1/2 ml from station (Berkswell) which has free parking and costs ?1.80 return and under 10 min trip.

Costs at NEC.... I understand Car parking charges were up (again !! :twisted: ) and catering?? Well how about ?4.20 for a sausage roll (No.. I didn't) and ?2.00 odd for a bottle of water (ditto) Carol and I never spent a penny with them. Apart from entry tickets at ?17.50 each... :evil: :evil: (Senior tickets were still available)... :wink: Oh!! & tea was ?1.70... not too bad.

Our lunch was supplied by the Travel Inn... :roll: :wink: I never eat much 1st thing so after a small plate of bacon and eggs we asked if they could do us a take out sandwich. We had two each!! One with sausage and the other with Bacon and egg again. Toasted and wrapped in tinfoil.. Tea was courtesy of the Hotel too. All for the cost of 1 conti breakie and 1 cooked. ?13.00. Great value..

I give you the "Canny Lad of the Week" award" ! 8)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Next time John.. When were you there? Carol and I were there from opening till about 4pm Sat'. I only saw Brian..Looked out for folks but only talked to Brian. I was on their stand & handed over his windy cable bolts...

Good Day! We enjoyed the show.

Sorry we missed everybody... :?

Al'....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:57 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Next time John.. When were you there? Carol and I were there from opening till about 4pm Sat'. I only saw Brian..Looked out for folks but only talked to Brian. I was on their stand & handed over his windy cable bolts...

Good Day! We enjoyed the show.

Sorry we missed everybody... :?

Al'....

Sunday from 11:00 until 17:30 stayed overnight in B&B & spent a few hours today at my one time workplace in the BMW engine plant.
All in all an enjoyable trip.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:14 am

ardee_selby wrote:
alexblack13 wrote:We did just that but not from Coventry. Balsall common has a good travel inn about 1/2 ml from station (Berkswell) which has free parking and costs ?1.80 return and under 10 min trip.

I give you the "Canny Lad of the Week" award" ! 8)

Cheers - Richard

Well chuffed with that award... Ta...

Good job you do all know I am not a miserable tight arsed git right? (Like a few I know.. Some of whom wouldn't give you a fright!!) But some things just irk me. Paying stupid parking costs for eg. You do know that the guy who owns NCP is one of the richest in the world? Wonder how he is planning to take it with him.

Al'....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: