Engine Installation-easy options?

PostPost by: nico506 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:01 pm

Hi all,
I am now in the process of installing the restred engine back into my Elan S3 following body respray and installation of ancillaries.

I would like some comments from others as to the process of installing the engine without scratching the paint- and whether it is easier to install the short engine first and the the gearbox - or install the long engine incuding the gearbox whichever reduces the need to curse badly :shock:

I have considered removing the body to do this - but nervous of damaging the paint or stressing the body in the process as it is difficult to grab the body without using the arches as I did prior to the restoration(incorrect I know).

Any help or advise would appreciated- I live in Bedfordshire UK so if anyone willing to assist that would be great.

Thanks in Advance
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:38 pm

Definitely install the engine separate from the gearbox. I've done it that way at least a dozen times now. You can remove the engine and put it back in the car in one 8 hour day by yourself once you know all the tricks and procedures.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:00 am

I agree with Keith and always remove and install the gearbox and engine separately. I did it once the other way many years ago and never will again.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:16 am

I've done it both ways and I prefer to remove the engine separately but refit the engine and gearbox together as a unit.
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: