Water temperature thermo coupling tube to heater valve clip

PostPost by: badback » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 pm

Maybe a lot to ask but hear go?s
Any one have the original clip that holds the thermo coupling tube to the heater valve, I would need photo?s if possible please. my car is a S3 FHC 1967

Brian
badback
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ElliottN » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:45 am

Brian, are you talking about the capillary tube between the sensor bulb and the temp gauge itself?
This has fascinated me for years as the weakest part of the whole thing is the soldered joint where the tube meets the sensor bulb which of course is where the most vibration occurs unless the tube is secured to something on the engine upstream from the bulb. I'll check the parts list when I get home but I cannot recall there is any standard part for this and I have seen hundreds of cars and photos (even Lotus ads, manuals, etc.) where there is no securing arrangement.

I made a clip from a brass strip and a piece of rubber - secured to the flange of the heater valve with a self tapping screw. See attached photo - not close up, but you can see the idea.
If you find there is a standard part or standard solution, let me know please.
Rgds,
Attachments
Engine Bay 4.JPG and
Elliott - 70 S4 dhc
ElliottN
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: badback » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:01 am

Elliott thanks for the reply and photo.
This photo is taken from the S4 handbook showing the securing clip lotus recommend fitting.
John Bolster's excellent book, The Lotus Elan and Europa a Collectors Guide shows a under bonnet shot of a S3 page 34 with what looks like the same clip fitted
I have not yet found a part number and my S3 handbook as no reference to this part
I think like you I will make my owe
Brian
Attachments
Pipe_Clip[1] - Copy.JPG and
badback
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Per the conversation in this thread:

lotus-elan-f19/elan-rebuild-story-t34178-150.html

Here are a couple of pictures of what I assume is the "correct" clip, and a picture of the P clip that I used. There's a handy hole in the valve plate that allows the P clip to be bolted in place.

Nick

Elan-capillary-clamp-1.JPG and

Elan-capillary-clamp-2.JPG and
Attachments
Elan-capillary-clamp-3.JPG and
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:25 am

This looks a familiar issue.

After ALLOT of searching i decided to go with the same style of routing as the BRM Elan at Maul Mattys.

When i did mine i just drilled the Pop rivet out and refitted the rivet but with a Pipe clip added (just use bits of clear washer pipe between the clip and the Capillary so it grips it but not hard enough to cause damage, if you just use a metal clip the Capillary moves about or rattles)

Not the best pictures as the loops are very even and straight its just the picture makes it look cock eyed.
Attachments
P1040145.JPG and
P1040144.JPG and
Last edited by Grizzly on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:26 am

This is the one i copied (just loved how neat it looked) mine is not as well installed but looks good enough for me ;)
Attachments
pm123-37.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Just thought i'd put the link to my inquiry thread lotus-electrical-f38/water-temp-capilary-replacment-t33608.html
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: