Dying rev counter

PostPost by: thor » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:35 am

Hmm. From I got my 130 this summer I was told by the previous owner that the rev counter usually needed a little tap after starting, to get it working. This has worked well, and for me this was just a charming detail... But now it does the same.. "tap" it works, but stops at about 1000 and is very hesistant to go above it.

What's wrong? The drive cable?

Thor
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Roy Gillett » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:29 am

There is no drive cable, it is electronic! Mine does the same though :? , I have to say. It will go walk about for several days and then work perfectly for weeks on end. A tap sometimes works, sometimes it does not. I am told that there is an earthing 'finger' from the electrics inside to the case which can be subject to a poor earth especially if the inside of the case is a bit rusty. I haven't had time to check mine out yet but I think it is worth a look.

I shall watch this space with the same interest you do!

Roy
Roy Gillett
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:02 pm

Looks like you have a bad joint man (oh the good old days) what you'll have to do is open the case and check the electrical tracks and connections for this little gremlin.(mine was a split in one track that took many attempts to find
John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:27 pm

aha, a bad joint can cause all kinds of problems, :lol:

I take it you mean the case of the rev counter?
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:06 pm

Yep
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:45 am

I too have a broken Rev counter, (an RVI type) I have not yet tackled the problem as there was one on ebay. I planned to make a bid on it, until, to my horror in the last few hours it went up to almost ?90!!!!! Are they really that hard to find? Looks like I will have to try and repair mine after all!

If the pulse from the low tension circuit is passing through the RVI type tacho, but Im still not getting any reading, does that mean (by anyones past experience) that it is certain to be a tacho internal fault, or do the RVI's have the tendency to stop working with luminition as well as the current driven types?

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikefromengland » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:02 pm

my tacho reads +1thousand revs when it is a very hot day outside otherwise works prefectly.why it does this heavens knows.they must have a mind of there own :?
mikefromengland
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:24 pm

The tachs are hard to find because of the redline. It's high on the Lotus. (caused by the joint?) Most gauges from the sixties were redlined below 6000. You could always carefully paint the red higher on an less expensive MGB tach face. I unfortunately of late do not have functioning tachs but have never really ever relied on or trusted one anyway.... I go by engine sound, when it really sings, I shift.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: