compression worry

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:34 am

Simon
I have had similar problems on my Sprint with Dellortos
Number four plug has a tendency to foul up any way. One of the reasons is that the engine breather vents into the airbox next to number four carb intake so oily mist gets burnt in that cylinder.
Also if you tune the carbs properly the engine pulls a better vacuum so it is quite possible your lights will operate slightly better.
If the car has been stood for a while the vacuum system can benefit from a good run as any moisture will be driven out and any seals will start to bed down again. You will probably find though that the rubber components are starting to leak ( after 12 years I can almost guarantee it)
Also remember that if the vacuum system is faulty this too can effect the engines running
Like the other guys say it needs a good run before you can even start to guess if the engine has a major fault.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:39 am

Clive,

Thanks for that advice. That is a very good point you made re crankcase breather, as in certain light I notice misty air coming from the trumpet related to cylinder 4. I think that explains why.

I have had another go tuning, and have got it going alot better, but it still doesnt run the way I expected it to (not that I have ever driven an elan before!) I am going to continue to try and fine tune it, then give it a decent drive. In terms of the vacuum circuit, luckily the previos owner has replaced all the rubber hosing, T-pipe etc, so I think as you say a good run will be the best option.

Anyhow we shall see, but if anyone lives in the vicinity of North East Hampshire, and has an elan or Plus 2 I would appreciate having a look (slim chance I know!)

cheers

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: phatmendus » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:55 am

I have finally had a truely joyeous moment after my serious compression concerns. Due to everyones advice (thanks!!) I re-did my compression test on a warm engine with the butterflys open, and what a difference!

From the worst reading of 110 psi, I now have between 190 and 200 psi on all cylinders!

To me that is very good news as I was dreading further cost involved in an engine rebuild! Now all I need to do is get the dam carbs working correctly. Car still runs and sounds dreadful!

Simon
phatmendus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:48 am

Contact your local Lotus Club, get the name of a trusted mechanic and take the car to him. Get a first hand opinion. ( It's sounding like carb rebuild time. )
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: