OK, now its begining to scare me a little...

PostPost by: Matt7c » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:01 pm

I started out just intending to renew the valve-springs - after 14 years off, and with 2 of them squashed the whole time, I thought they could use it. Then I noticed that the timing sprockets and chain were worn, that the valve guides, valves and seats needed renewing. Then I found out how tricky it is to do that. Then I found the crack in my radiator that needs brazing, and the bottom hose that was worn out. Then I thought it'd be good to put a new type oil pump on, oh and a fuel pump blanking plate so the unused mech fuel pump could be dismounted. Then I realised that all the timing sprockets would be worn and need replacing. Then I found out that I need to remove the sump and front cover to access the jack shaft and crank sprockets. Then I found out that the chassis cross member (Spyder) and anti-roll bars need to be moved first... :?

So, I'm lying under my machine wondering what to undo first, when I realise that there is loads of oil leaking out throught the clutch bell housing and the speedo cable housing - something else to do. Then I notice that to get the sump off, I need to remove the starter motor. Then I thought while it was off I could renew the oil-soaked power cables to the starter, and the earth braid on the other engine mounting, oh and they need renewing too. Then I realised that I hadn't yet removed anything without discovering something else in need of correction before I replace it. AND THATS WHEN IT HAPPENED! :shock:

I realised that my simple valve spring renewal was leading up to a TOTAL engine, clutch and gearbox rebuild! But I don't want to do a full engine rebuild! I haven't got the time, the money or the space. And I'm moving house in a month's time! Aaaarrrggghhh... :evil:

So, there is now a line in the sand. NOTHING ELSE IS COMING OFF! When the cylinder head comes back from the machine shop, its all going back together with those new parts I can fit without removing anything else.

Then I'll plan the next move properly...and whisk the engine out and do it all properly at the moment of my choosing, and not be led to oblivion by the machine.

Sorry, to rant. I feel so much better now... :?
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:37 pm

Matt,

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF LOTUS OWNERSHIP !!!

I had a similarly long list of things to fix last year after the clutch stuck on while left over winter.... I'll use a piece of wood to wedge the pedal down next time....

Sometimes it can be better just to use it and leave things alone until you're sure they need fixing.... and you have both the time & money to do it....

Hope it all works out in the end !

Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:43 am

mine arrived completely disassembled 3 years ago separated from the chassis and not a bolt connected to a nut with boxes and boxes of bits and pieces ----some of which were right and required a huge parts chase [ thanks to Don Tingle]I just got it running and its worth the work ----so a little job like valve job is really nothing so do the small jobs and enjoy the car :shock: ---ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brassringfarm » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:55 pm

This sounds familiar. My car also arrived in boxes - and I judge one box was missing and I had spare bits to various Elans. Thanks to Tingle and Bean and Matty in the UK and to eBay - I, too, got it in proper running order. My only advice is to fix it all now - even if it takes 2 years - otherwise you'll have to take it apart again later. Write this list for advice - psychological or mechanical!
Paul Zimmerman
65 S2
brassringfarm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: thor » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:02 pm

hmmm.,, having had my +2S since august, with nothing but unfixed electrical minor faults here and there now wrapped up for the winter, I got a bit worried after reading this, but then settled down..

My two last classics, a GT6 followed by a TR4A both worked exceptionally well, but only if i didn't stray from my path of keeping it nice and shiny, and ONLY fixing something that was thouroughly broken, except cosmetics and servicing.
My theory of the old parts working together in harmony after a few years has been proven on many occasions by many many friends with full rebuilds, only leading to more faults cropping up either during or after the completion, with the rebuilt car throwing tantrums every week... Like one of my mates with now 4 new or rebalanced propshafts and 3-4broken diffs following a full restoration.....

If it ain't broke don't fix it is my sagely advice of the day.
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: