cold weather engine block heater?

PostPost by: chicagojeff » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:57 am

Well, it's gonna be the first winter ever for my Elan, and it gets mighty cold in chicago. But, there are lots of days when there is now snow, so i think I'll probably drive the Elan rather than let it sit. But, given the freezing temps, I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of, or constructed, an engine block heater, similar to the plug-in models on volvos? Ideas? thanks, jeff in about to be cold, Chicago. :oops: (Does this embarrassed emoticon look more like a cold icon?)
chicagojeff
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:44 am

I'd say the old JC Whitney heated electric dipstick will do the trick. Simple and cheap, just don't drive away with it plugged in. ps; the emoticon definetly looks very cold.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:37 am

There are a few on the market over here in the UK.
Kenlowe who make the cooling fans do one:-
http://www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/spec.html

Cliveyboy
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hatman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:09 pm

I've fitted Kenlowe Hotstarts to two of my cars (a Rover P6 and a SAAB 9000) and they're totally brilliant. I have an unused one in my garage at the moment (taken off the Rover when I sold it) and I have it in the back of my mind to fit it to the Elan but, unlike Chicago, Surrey doesn't generally suffer from arctic conditions for months on end and, not being a daily driver, the Elan gets its own motor home and preferential driving conditions anyway.
hatman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:15 pm

I can recommend the Kenlowe one referred to above. I've had one fitted to various cars including a few Lotus's since about the mid 80's .

The big advantage of the Kenlowe is its 3kW output that heats the engine almost up to working temp in about 15-20 mins even when its sub zero. I used it in Sweden (on a 90's Elan) through a few winters and after I grafted on a relay arrangement that turned on the heater fans and warmed the interior it made the car almost as practical as a Volvo (when fitted with studded tyres and raised suspension!)

The Kenlowe is seriously expensive though (I think its now around GBP300) A couple of years ago I built a similar one for a single seater albeit as a two box solution (heater and pump) for under 100 quid using a kettle element and the electric water pump used on the 90's Elan. The quick release couplings to remove it from the car before it ventured on the track cost about the same again!

The low power units that fit in a core plug and sit there all night are a waste of time as the heat dissipates from the block faster than the heater can produce it, far better to spend the money on antifreeze!
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: forfenderjazz » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:47 pm

I have an electric heating unit that is magnetic, you put it on the oil pan. It does a good job warming the oil, its a little inconvenient getting under the car but it was only $15.00. It gets the oil warm in a couple of hours. The freeze plug units are great but installation can be a pain. You get pretty cold in Chicago, getting a battery mat to put under the battery really helps cold starting alot as battery output is suprisingly low in freezing conditions. Good luck, Roy
forfenderjazz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:35 pm

"unlike Chicago, Surrey doesn't generally suffer from arctic conditions for months on end"
C'mon Hatman does Surrey know what frost is :) ?
I worked in Guildford for 18 months and didn't see a temp below 5 degC. Living near Edinburgh we can get it cold (as my chums in Guildford were more than happy to point out!)

Jeff,
My son lived in Monroe, MI and I went to see him on his birthday around Thanksgiving. I've walked the mountains of Scotland in all weathers including blizzards on the high tops. However, I have never felt cold like it in Monroe and Dundee in November. It was bitter! You guys have my admiration. If I see anything about engine heaters, I will post it.

Yes the icon looks like a cold icon - but one where you have just walked into a heated room after you have been outside! :)

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:29 am

On my Yellow plus 2 I had a petrol powered water heater manufactured by Webasto. Called the "thermo top" Mounted in the nosecone it heated the water to 78 deg Celcius in about 15 minutes or so. It has a digital control panel (mounted in the car) which lets you set 3 different timers. The exhaust from the unit was pointed at the sump for extra effect. It used .5 litre of petrol for a 30 minute heating session. I used my car through some hard winters with this thing, and would use it whan getting in the car even if it had not been set, because the engine would warm up super fast with it on. You need a battery in good condition because it has an electric water pump in it, and also the car gets funny looks, because the unit sounds like a whirring gas boiler when running. You can set it to turn the car fan on, and they also do a radio activated version.

I think that they are also used as cab heaters on lorries, and were an option on some land rovers. Brilliant units, but not cheap. I do still have mine, though it took one hell of a bash when I crashed the car.
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:44 pm

I used my S4 Elan in Ontario for many winters & I fitted a core plug heater. This was many years ago & I don't know if they are still available but any auto parts store could tell you. I also found that I had to block off most of the front grill to keep the engine temp high enough especially on the highway. This was required even though I have the electric fan on the car.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: