CO2 emissions question

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:13 am

Taking the elan for it's MOT Friday, after an engine rebuild and being off the road for 4 years.
Does anyone know the rule for emissions on 33 year old cars? I don't want the oily rag revving the nuts off my new engine to get an acceptable emission reading as per new tin boxes.
I would love to quote a figure at him before he starts.
P.S. When I booked the car in I had to spell L.O.T.U.S E.L.A.N to the bloke on the phone. Apparently never heard of them. I'm sure in for some fun Friday.
Regards
Jeff
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wildoliver » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:31 am

Visual smoke check...........as long as its not doing an impression of the ss lucitania you'll be fine!
wildoliver
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:50 am

these cars are exempt from the emissions test!!!

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stor ... checks1to6

emissions only apply to cars used after 1st August 1975

http://www.bobmckay.co.uk/p_emissions.html

if he tries to test it tell him where he can stick his sensor!!!...unless you want to do it out of interest...but it wont count towards the MOT itself!!
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:27 pm

Agree completely that these cars are exempt. :)
My MOT chap did the test anyway out of curiosity. Apart from the lead content the car was OK. Think he was as surprised as me :shock: .

He also asked to do a road test - out of curiosity. The answer this time was to stick the probe where the sun didn't shine. (He said that he just thought he would ask anyway)

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: