To much oil pressure?

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:37 pm

Is it possible to have to much oil pressure?
I havn't used the car for a couple of weeks so decided to give it a run today. After a short drive I stopped to cure a minor fuel leak. After reving the engine a bit I noticed that the dipstick had completely come out and oil had sprayed out. It may be that it was touching the alternater belt and somehow that had flipped it out. I topped up the oil and bent the dipstick so that it is not touching. At normal running temp I have got just over 10psi and at 2000revs I have got 40psi. With the foot down it is reading over 50.
Is this ok?
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:14 pm

That oil pressure is fine, even with high oil pressure it would not push your dipstick out. Dipsticks are not subjected to direct oil pressure, the bearings etc. are lubricated by pressurized oil, the inside of the engine (and dipstick) is subject to crankcase pressure and this is caused by piston blowby, if there was excessive crankcase pressure you would be getting oil blown out of the breather and oil leaks, to blow the dipstick out, the engine would have to be in very poor condition.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:05 pm

Thanks for that. It must have just been the alternator belt! Panic over. I have just been for a drive and no further problems.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: