Oil pump upgrade...or maybe not...

PostPost by: Matt7c » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:45 pm

I may be being stupid, but...how do you get the oil pump off!! As I have the engine in bits, I thought I'd get put on a new oil pump with the canister type filter. The manual was helpful - undo 3 bolts and remove - but it snags on the steering column and chassis whichever way I turn it, leaving the drive teeth still inside the engine, which limits how much I can move it. I have a Spyder space frame chassis - is that significant?
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:45 pm

You can do either of two ways: Pulling the end cover off the pump buys you a bit more room but the better way is simply unbolt the motor mount and jack up the engine enough so the pump clears the frame.

I just realized you mentioned the steering column gets in the way. I know the above methods work with a LHD car but can't say for sure for a RHD. Sorry.

Greg Z
'72 Sprint
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:54 am

On a RHD car you need to disconnect the steering U joint and pull the steering column back up as well as disconnecting the engine mount on a Lotus chassis car. I have never had to do it on my Syder chassis plus 2 but its probably the same.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:53 am

Matt,

I fitted a new pump on my +2 by taking the bolts from the engine mounting and jacking up the engine just enough so the pump clears the steering column. Whole job was pretty easy.
Remember to prime the new pump so that it draws oil up from the sump. Might also be an idea to remove the plugs and crank the engine on the starter 'till you get oil pressure as sometimes it can take a wee while to get the oil circulating again. :(

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:56 am

Oops,

Matt - for got to say that it's easier if you leave the filter off until after you have fitted the pump to the engine.
Probably stating the obvious but remember to fill the filter with oil before you fit it!

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mohe » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:00 pm

I've had a little experience with oil pumps recently on a rebuit engine in a baby elan so this might be useful to you.

I did remove the steering column to get the oil pump out. I removed the steering joint from under the car and then the clamps holding the column to the dash - you may not need to do the latter but I removed the whole column assembly.

I had fitted a new oil pump and testing it by spinning the engine over on the starter motor with no plugs. Zero oil pressure. Oh dear. I then primed the oil pump by removing the 3 bolts holding the cover plate in place and then filling the area round the gears with vaseline. Hurrah - got oil presure. loads of oil pressure. loads and loads of oil pressure. And this is still on the starter motor!

The oil pump was new but it had spent time on a shelf and the oil pressure relief valve was stuck shut. The effect of this was once running, the engine gave 100 psi for a minute or two until the rubber seal on the oil filter blew out and the garage floor got covered in oil.

Once the oil pressure relief valve was freed and cleaned eveything became normal.

On the other hand I have learned that 'normal' is a strange word to use around a Lotus :-)

I hope that helps

Mohe
Mohe
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:14 pm

Challenge now solved by jacking the engine quite a way up - it wasn't necessary to remove the steering column, I just kept jacking. The new pump, being smaller, went on much more easily. Thanks for the tips.
Matt
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: