Cam Cover Best Stripped?

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi John,
Last time I visited the Oktoberfest We stayed in Ingolstad. We used a park and ride just down the Autobahn and it was superb. We got tickets to enter the Bike show and all day transport etc. Absobloodylutly fanfeckintastic!! And wonderfully cheap. From memory we used an Etap hotel which was very easy to access and V cheap. Food was round the corner, Beer was normal German quality and there was a bike shop behind the hotel which sold me a bmw helmet at a super price. And took a cheque!! Awsome.

Time will tell what folks fancy but that would be a great end to the trip. I for one would then use the Autozug back up country overnight. Great value for money and quick etc.

Thanks ...

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:26 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Hi John,
Last time I visited the Oktoberfest We stayed in Ingolstad. We used a park and ride just down the Autobahn and it was superb. We got tickets to enter the Bike show and all day transport etc. Absobloodylutly fanfeckintastic!! And wonderfully cheap. From memory we used an Etap hotel which was very easy to access and V cheap. Food was round the corner, Beer was normal German quality and there was a bike shop behind the hotel which sold me a bmw helmet at a super price. And took a cheque!! Awsome.

Time will tell what folks fancy but that would be a great end to the trip. I for one would then use the Autozug back up country overnight. Great value for money and quick etc.

Thanks ...

Alex B....

Well Alex we've certainly gone well off topic, I sure I can include you in appologising to the thread originator.
So sorry! :oops:
Dachau is certainly a lot closer for the Oktoberfest than Ingolstadt.
Apart from its rather infamous tourist attraction there is a wide variety of reasonably priced Restaurants: Chinese, Tex-Mex, Greek, Italian, Yugoslavian, Bavarian etc. & to top the list Burger King & MacDonalds of course. :roll:
Oh & the Beer will be a lot cheaper than at the Fest. It was 12?/Liter last year & that's if you can even get in to one of the Beer Tents!!
No seat, no beer; them's the rules.
Last year they stopped people entering the Tents at 17:00 due to overcrowding!!
And the 6 big tents accomodate 10.000 people each!!! :shock:
A trip around the BMW Munich factory may also be of interest; something which can be arranged.
If you plan a trip at this time next year the Dachau Fest takes place & the Beer price is 4,70?/Liter
All the attractions but on a smaller scale & a seat & Beer(top quality) is guaranteed.

Cheers
John
Last edited by GrUmPyBoDgEr on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:33 pm

Dachau it is then. I have a plan hatching. I will put it to the forum and see what happens. When I get back from hols.

Cheers all....

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 pm

Have a good 'un & don't go overdoing it; don't want to wreck all the good work the "Sawbones" did on you.
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:14 pm

aawwhh man! you got my teeth janglin... :lol: :lol:

Ta John... Better get back on topic. :roll:

Alex.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm

before we do ---used the oven to shape the head light covers ----The Uber frau was pissed so I tried her hair dryer and burned it out but shes still here --maybe I should move west ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:17 am

You are not going to believe this! Just tried the Lambretta engine case in the dishwasher.(who suggested that!!) It fits! :roll:

Need to pluck up the courage to try it now..Might not make that 40th anni :lol:

Now.. back to topic.. :?

Alex....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:36 pm

Trevor

The red wrinkle finish shown in the pictures, was that achieved with the VHT paint? Did you use an etch primer first or spray it onto stripped alloy? The oven curing you go on to mention, was that for the red wrinkle finish?

All the Best Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Read Crackle finish looks great, best colour for all the finest engines (Ferrari F430, DC2 Integra, ahem.)
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi Andy.

Yes the wrinkle finish was achieved with the VHT Wrinkle Plus paint.

I purchased here: - http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8219
Note: The RED is at the bottom of the page, with its own ?add to basket? button.

It was sprayed onto the stripped alloy, which was scuffed with Scotch Brite and wiped over with grease and wax remover.

You spray on 3 coats with 5 mins between each coat.
It will air dry over 48 hours or more.
But after 24 hrs I cured for 1 hour at 93 degree C in the adapted oven.

Full instructions are on the can.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi Guys,

I used the black crackle for the air vents and ashtray front and also the bare alloy cover. 3 coats also. 10 mins between 1st and second then a wait of (I think) 40 mins,after which you were instructed to apply one 'heavy' coat.allow to flash off for 1/4 hr then oven bake at a lowish temp for an hour or so. It came out perfect. Did exactly what it said on the tin! After 24hrs or so I scraped off the ribs and lettering, then I sanded it. A final rub with some wet n dry to help polish up the alloy finished the job.

I bought it on Ebay... :D

Great stuff.

Alex...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:08 pm

How durable is it?

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Paddy.

As I have only just used the product on my cam cover, I cannot state how durable it is with use over a time scale.

Any one got any usage history?

What is stated on the can is:-
?This coating is extremely durable, long lasting and chemical resistant. Withstands intermittent temperatures up to 177 degree C. Ideal for: Engine accessory brackets, air cleaner housings and valve covers.?
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:49 pm

[quote="TeeJay"]Any one got any usage history quote]

I used the black crinkle on my cam cover about seven years ago, it is very durable although over time it looses that "new look" as dirt tends to get into the crinkle, I have from time to time used a dashboard spray to bring back the slight sheen effect.
Its probally time I re painted as it now has a few scratches and chips but black is not correct for my S2 and I will repaint in blue (not crinkle)
Attachments
CAM COVER.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 pm

As Brian says ..It is very durable.It takes on similar properties to powder coating. And it is a bu***r to remove. I (on another job) kept it clean with a skoosh of brake cleaner and a wash. Came up like new.

Recommended...

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: