Overheating story

PostPost by: BenMcCarthy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:10 am

My plus 2 has an electric cooling fan and the engine was rebuilt (both ends) only a year (and 18,000 miles ago!).

After behaving itself very well indeed over the last year, including standing in lengthy queues of traffic for long periods, a week ago the car overheated.

The cooling fan bullet connectors had fallen off, so I re-connected and replaced one of them. The cooling fan now works fine and cuts in at the right temperature.

The trouble is about 30 minutes after the car has started running from cold the temperature starts rising and rising and I have to stop.

The car does not appear to leak water - I've run radweld around the system just in case. When the temperature rises there still appears to be enough water in the system.

I've topped it up and run the engine enough to believe there are no airlocks.

The oil looks fine - no sign of water there.

Does this sound like a water pump?
BenMcCarthy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:23 am

[quote"]
The cooling fan bullet connectors had fallen off, so I re-connected and replaced one of them. quote]

Just a thought, you reconnected the fan the correct way round? pushing air through the radiator not sucking.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: v7slr » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:07 am

Thermostat not opening? Radweld might have "stuck" it. Not likely, but worth a check.
v7slr
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: BenMcCarthy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:03 am

crikey you're right. Changed the bullet connectors around and works fine now.

Thanks a million
BenMcCarthy
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: