Compression test

PostPost by: birdthom » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:18 pm

Dear All

I carried out a compression test on my twin cam last night and got the following results:

1. 165/170
2. 155/160
3. 165/170
4. 165/170

The results are slightly vague as my tester is not very accurate. I didn't have the chance to put oil down the bores so I'm not sure if it's top or bottom end that's caused the drop on chamber 2.

I'm only using the car for some fairly light occasional track day use, so I'm not looking for the last word in performance. My question is - would any of you be concerned about the result for chamber 2?

I don't have the facilities to pull the head or carry out any major work myself, so if it won't make that much difference I'd just like to leave things as they are.

Thanks

Tom.
birdthom
New-tral

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:29 pm

Tom,

The manual says to expect 160 or over. Looks like your engine passes, just, on no 2. By all means try a little oil down the bores but only a little. Too much may give you a falsely high reading.
I had a similar post a few weeks ago and someone suggested connecting an airline to the suspect cylinder and listening to where the air leaked from.

Might help decide if it's an engine out job :cry: or a head removal :? to do the valves.

Regards,

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:43 am

birdthom wrote: My question is - would any of you be concerned about the result for chamber 2? Tom.

It wouldn't worry me, if there is a problem it will get worse so just keep an eye on it, if it has to be done at a later stage then "so be it" but as they say "dont fix it if it aint broken" :lol:
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: