Elan Headlight switching

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:59 am

During the rebuild of my 1970 S4 my pet electrician knitted me a brand new wiring harness and plugged in lots of lovely relays, a multitude of fuses & modern multipin waterproof connectors; all very neat.
I also decided to tidy up the engine bay by deleting the vacuum pipes too and from the headlight actuation valve situated in the dashboard. A switch actuated solenoid valve was mounted to the side of the radiator & connected between the vacuum tank & the headlamp actuators. The original switches fitted behind the headlamp pods were deleted because neither myself or my pet electrician could understand the necessity of them.
I still have one switch to actuate the pods which replaces the dashboard pull operated valve & the original side light / headlight switch in the dashboard. I would like to eliminate the actuator switch & combine it's function with the headlight switch. This would mean that the lights would be lit during the pod actuation phase. This would give the lamp elements a jolt at the end of the pod travel but I feel that this wouldn't be any more severe than any other possible road shocks.
I would like to hear your comments & would be happy to know why Lotus incorporated those extra light pod actuated switches.
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: persiflage » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:13 am

Belt and braces.
It is all too easy to drop the headlights before switching them off, once that big bright area on the garage wall has gone one tends to forget that there is also an electrical switch to operate.
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:30 am

Thanks,
that's what we thought at the time!
Another question to all those "Sparks" out there, something I forgot in my original message.
Considering the switching system I am proposing; I have a question about the headlamp flasher function on the main / dipped beam stalk on the steering column. This is presently not connected. Could this function also be connected as some sort of override that actuates the pods & switches main beam on? Would it be difficult?
I've found that such a small car is easily overseen in today's traffic & a quick flash of the headlights could prevent a "situation" occurring.
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:59 pm

After converting to the failsafe system I have replaced the vacuum pull switch with a new headlamp switch from Chrisneils. The first pull actuates the sidelights then a twist and a pull actuates the solenoid and switches the headlights on. I find this system ok , I dont think whatever you do you can get the headlights to pop up in time for a quick flash!
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:25 am

Thanks for the info' Chris,
are the solenoid switch and the push pull switch that you mention part of the original fail safe system or a modern modification similar to that which I have? Does the lighting rocker switch in the dashboard then become redundant?
I have also fitted two small diameter spot lights (ala Elise but smaller) behind the grill in the air intake (no effect on the cooling !). These are wired into the main beam circuit and would react immediately if only the headlamp flasher was wired up!
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:46 am

John,
The headlamp switch was fitted to later cars. I dont know about the solenoid but Don at Chrisneils will tell you. Yes the rocker switch is then redundant.
I like your idea of the spotlights in the grill. Do you have details of the lights you used? I might have a go at fitting some myself.
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:16 am

Will check them out tonight, makers name, approx. dimensions etc.
Bought them at one of the shows in the midlands a couple of years ago. Can't rmember the price but I think they were about 12 GBP the pair.
I've fitted them behind the grill (not in the grill) on suitable brackets to raise the height to aproximately the middle of the grill (Have to make those yourself).
Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:56 am

Good morning Chris,
regarding the supplementary lighting, I have several options. I have 2 spotlights unfortunately with no makers name anywhere.
The shape of the black painted metal bodies resembles the brass bayonet fitting on British houshold lamps. But larger of course
A black plastic cap fits on the bayonet. this makes the whole thing waterproof. + & - wires come out of this cover.
The lights have normal clear lenses (not those bullseye affairs) with a diameter of 70 mm, this being the max. dia. anywhere along the light. The length is 90 mm. They are fitted with a pivoting bracket which permits horizontal angle adjustment. Ideal with some sort of additional height spacer to fix into the bottom of the sloping Elan air intake behind the grill.
As I mentioned previously I bought them from a stall at one of those car restoration shows. The guy had a cardboard box full of them.
Actually fitted into my Elan, at the moment are a pair of similarly sized "fog lights"
I have fitted them inverted so that there is a greater scatter of light upwards. Some of the light does of course not make out, if your number plate digits are fixed to the grill.
They certainly get you noticed a night at least. I had to drive 5 miles in the dark once with no dipped beam, only main beam & these "inverted fogs" on the combined switching circuit. The oncoming traffic was not at all happy with me.
It depends what you want the additional lighting for; to see or be seen. Then the choice is up to you as to what type of beam you choose. I'm not too certain of the legality of the set up that I'm using. I know it is not permitted in Germany, however at the last two tests in GB nobody grumbled.
Demon Tweeks have some small lights in their catalogue.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: