Bolt sizes..................Question

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:03 pm

Hi Guys

I have just stripped my plus 2 engine bay, and most of the very rusty bolts were 7/16th headed and about and inch long. I want to order replacements in stainless steel, but what is the correct description of them? I have some M6 which fit but feel slightly loose. Are there any other common sizes that I should order?

Many thanks
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:49 am

All the bolts are imperial so do not try to force fit any metric stuff in there. The threads are either UNF or UNC.

Warning about stainless steel, these are not as strong as the passivated steel originally used. Only use stainless where strength is not important. New passivated steel bolts will last for years especially if you are only using the car in sunny weather.

A good source for all your bolts etc is www.namrick.co.uk
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:00 am

Definitely a big no to stainless for anything that is stressed. It might look nice and shiny but you might find the last person who is commenting on this is the accident investigator ;-)

Look in the parts list, all (well nearly all) the fasteners are explicitly coded in their part number as to the type/diameter/length/thread etc. The decode table is at the start of the parts book.
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:34 pm

Agreed use stainless on the pretty stuff by all means but HT mild steel on all the mission critical stuff.

I had a friend who used stainless on a classic bike resto' and was horrified when they fatigue failed!

All hexagons should be good old AF and threads UNF and UNC (coarse threads mainly into threaded aluminium and cast iron.

John
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:21 pm

Hi

Did not realise that about them being weaker. Will use plain old HT. I used stainless for the sill bolts....arre they highly stressed? I guess not.........

Many thanks!
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi Berni,
All the high tensile bolts should hace 3 small lines/upstands on the top of the bolt head - this designates that they are high tensile steel.

rgs

David
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:54 pm

You can get High tensile SS bolts. See http://www.southcoaststainless.com/Page40.pdf But they are not cheap!!
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: