electric water pump

PostPost by: gus » Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 am

I think the bolt in water pump is a simpler answer.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Wed May 31, 2017 4:22 pm

hello mr gale
I dd the davies craig ewp conversion about a year ago.........no controller, but with a cut-out switch....runs all the time.....can't fault it......temp never gets above 85deg.......never need the fan....

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Wed May 31, 2017 6:50 pm

My electric water pump has been working well for nearly ten years. I got rid of the electronic controller, and so the pump runs all the time. I was always worried about overheating in city traffic, but that has not been a problem at all with this Davies Craig unit. I did re-position the pump to improve water flow to the heater matrix, and I am now toasty warm in winter.

John Larkin
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: neilcritter » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:21 am

John Larkin wrote:My electric water pump has been working well for nearly ten years. I got rid of the electronic controller, and so the pump runs all the time. I was always worried about overheating in city traffic, but that has not been a problem at all with this Davies Craig unit. I did re-position the pump to improve water flow to the heater matrix, and I am now toasty warm in winter.

John Larkin

Hi John,

I've been reviewing all of your posts on the electronic water pump in your S3 since 2007. Back then you posted pictures, and then later you mentioned that you repositioned the pump to improve the flow of water to the heater matrix.

Can you describe where you presently have your pump? Photos?

Also, my best understanding is that you have left the original water pump with the impeller in the system but do not have a belt going to the mechanical pump. Is that still correct? Has that still worked well for you? Any concerns the old pump may lockup or have resistance by keeping it in place?

I'm inclined to keep things simple by keeping the old pump in and adding the electronic pump
on my S3 project like you did. You seem to have a lot of experience on this topic from your S3 and I would value and an update.

Thanks a bunch!
Neil Crittenden

'67 S3 project
"I don't know Jack"
Neil Crittenden
Oklahoma City
1967 S3

"I don't know Jack"
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50881
neilcritter
First Gear
First Gear