Page 1 of 1

Valve Seats

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:30 pm
by dhcelan
I am finishing up a 2nd restoration on an early 69 S4 FHC. After getting all of the bugs sorted out (The latest, all new suspension bushings and rebuild of door mechanisms). I read the section on degreeing an engine and made timing disks for the engine and cams. I felt the engine (2500 miles) needed the valves checked as low end power was way off and sounded like an exhaust valve was burned or leaking. Well #1 exhaust is bad with zero clearance and fails leak down with the cam loosened.

Question 1: :huh:
Can sintered exhaust valve seats be installed for unleaded running?

Question #2 :blink:
The engine number is G/XXXXX/B I found that the G means a fedral engine with Stromberg emissions head(US). Does the B mean "B" cams as
all the books I have read call out "C" cams for this engine? It has "B" cams installed.

Question #3 :D
Who are the best machine shops with twin cam head experience. I don't need any more suprises. (only two valves, each on a differant clyinder were in spec.)

Any help would be great!

Re: Valve Seats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:10 am
by gjz30075
Where are you located?

Re: Valve Seats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:26 am
by dhcelan
Colchester, Vermont

Re: Valve Seats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:33 pm
by gwnorth68
I had my T/C head overhauled including valve seat replacement by a performance oriented m/s in Granby, Quebec. Not too much time on it yet but no problems and very impressed with the shop. Contact me off line if you want info. You'd have to understand the border procedures but prices were very reasonable.