Twin Cam Oil Pump

PostPost by: mark030358 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:07 pm

Gents will the twincam oil pump come out once the engine is in place. ie to prime it prior to starting after a rebuild?
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:16 pm

Yes, bit of a struggle but it comes off, take off the carbs and right side engine mount and jack up the engine, some people take off the end plate or cut a piece out of the chassis but I haven't found I needed to.
I did one a month ago, there was a few posts on this subject a while ago.
Brian
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:55 pm

Me to, I agree. Same problem, to prime. Did get oil up my sleeve putting it back.

Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:16 pm

I know this is a bit late now but....

IIRC the trick is to fill the oil pump with Graphogen when putting it back together which should prime it when the engine tuns over.

Another tip is to fill the oil filter with oil before fitting it.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus026 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm

Unless it's a high volume pump....I bought one of these as an "improvement" over the standard pump, since I was using it for hillclimbs & Vintage racing, and found out the hard way that they are horrible for losing their prime! I was somewhat surprised when I had to reprime it when I got the fresh engine into the car, it'd only been sitting for a few months with assembly lube priming it and expected it to be fine, but have found since then that it can lose the prime in as few as 12 hours! At least it's been fairly easy to pop the side cover off the pump and reprime it; but it's going to get replaced with a stock one - has only held prime once in the 5 or 6 times it's sat since it was installed into the car and then wanted to start it - not good for what's mostly a street car. If I used it only as a race car I'd probably put a zerk fitting on the sideplate......:)
Dave
lotus026
lotus026
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: