Twin Cam block

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat May 06, 2006 12:05 am

rgh0 wrote:The Elan Factory stocks 3 different thicknesses of front cover to head gaskets so you can match it up properly depending on the step size at the block when you have aligned the front cover to the crank properly and how thick a head gaskets you use. Other engine builders like QED may do the same.

Rohan

This is all very interesting. The TC was designed to use the original Ford 1600 head gasket, along with a new cork timing case gasket. One wonders why the timing case was stepped, was the gasket designed first, and the metal components then designed to suit, surely a case of back-to-front design ?

I have built an 1800 TC using a 711M block. I had the deck and Burton supplied "tall block" timing case assembly machined to suit my piston/conrod/CR specs. I used an "Ajusa" extra thick head gasket to get the CR down to 10.5:1, with a standard cork timing cover gasket. This has worked well. BTW, it runs on standard unleaded, no problems.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat May 06, 2006 12:24 am

Sean

I dont think it was orginally designed to be stepped. It is just the way it comes out depending on all the assembly tolerances. Given all the playing with most of the components have now had the alignments inevitably have become worse as blocks are decked and line bored and the front covers are machined to match etc etc.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: