And the next problem is ........

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:32 pm

Rohan & Rob,

You guys mentioned Viton type seated valves and NOS float valves. Maybe I'm just dim but I haven't heard of either. Can you explain a bit more please?

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:03 pm

hmmm, Viton? But NOS, Hamish, surely New Old Stock......

(now how can I do 4 more posts to get in 3rd gear.....:-)
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:26 pm

Hamish

According to my Plus 2 manual DHLA 40's can have a persistent flooding problem. Lotus recommended replacing them with the Viton seated float valves from the later DHLA 40 E carbs. Viton is a oil and petrol resistant rubber. These rubber seated valves give a more reliably tight shut off with less force from the foat and thus are less likely to leak and cause flooding. I presume these valves are still available through Delorto suppliers

Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:42 pm

Got the little pressure gauge today and did the pressure test as suggested. It was 3.5 psi!! When I returned the regulator to the set up it had when it was first fitted it was 4.5 psi!! Thank you Deamon Tweeks for supplying a regulator set up for Dellortos. Mmmmm. :?

Pressure is now a tad below 2psi. There are no drips at the venturi and I got a damned sight further than a ? mile on the test run. No flooding. Yippee! :D

Rohan (and anybody else who's interested) the Viton seated valves are available from Eurocarbs (do a search for dellorto carbs on google) for a few quid each. They also have loads of spares and do service exchanges.

This problem seems fixed for the moment - here's to the next one!

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. Chris, I hope your Lotus troubles will be over soon.

It's a bit of a roller coaster owning a Lotus (or is that stating the obvious)?
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: