Camshaft Sprockets

PostPost by: mark030358 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:02 pm

Gents,
Quick question re cams and cam timing. Anyone used vernier sprockets? Reason I ask is its proving very very difficult to get the chain over the sprockets with the correct tension between them and I dont fancy taking then off and putting them on when fitting offset dowels, so thought I about using verniers. If anyone has, where did they get them, I now Burton and QED do them.

cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:44 pm

Mark
I got a pair from QED a while back and they make timing the cams a damn site easier,DON'T DROP ONE OF THE ALLENS DOWN THE FRONT COVER or youll spend ages taking the sump off

John
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:22 pm

ok the secret iv found is-----align the both sprockets -- set one with the chain and sprocket attached remove the other sprocket -- hold the chain and sprocket in alignment and move the cam into position with vise grips until the pin is in the sprocket and add the bolt ed law ;)
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:22 am

I found twincamman's method to be the best and the process is easier with two people, but not difficult with one. Just a little easier to keep an eye on the sprocket bolt.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JACKJABBA » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:41 pm

Just done mine with dowels from QED. I use the same method as above, just do the exhaust first and then fit the inlet sproket. Verniers are a lot quicker for adjustment, but at a cost. over ?100 and QED had none when I called. I found that I spent a whole day doing mine with the dowels trying to get them perfect. Just remember crank degree's is twice cam. Its easy to get all confused when swapping dowels, and you may find yourself starting to wish you had not bothered. Its got to be a lot easier with the engine out of the car, I did mine with it still fitted.
JACKJABBA
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: