Twincam Oil/water Intercooler

PostPost by: type26owner » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:04 pm

The sandwich ones which mount between the oil pump and filter are too big in diameter to fit directly. By the time I build an adapter to fix that problem it ends up projecting out from the pump so much the filter would interfere with the chassis's vacuum tank or if I could turn it in another direction it would be sticking below the chassis and be in harm's way from being struck and punctured. Not only that but the logistics of routing hot coolant to it on the farside of the engine are formidable without sacrificing and redirecting the coolant supply going to the cockpit heater. All these pitfalls suck.

Realized there is a better way to do it though. Now am trying to bring the oil from the pump area to the straight tube section from the thermostat housing to the top inlet flange of the Marsden radiator. Going to replace that tube with a double-walled jacketed heat exchanger of my own design which allows me to flow the oil around the hot coolant tube and get the oil to equilbrate to the thermostat and dual electric fan switch dynamic range which is 90-105C. That means if it's too cold then it will heat up the oil or if it's too hot then it will cool it off. When this is in place I will reduce the cooling rate of the oil through the oil pan via the windblast by adding some insulation on the outside of the pan by velcroing on a thermal diaper. The sandwich adapter with built-in safety bypass to port the oil supply to and from the filter is available from all the racer suppliers for $32. Piece of cake except making sure the dipstick access is not blocked. Routing both oil lines over the waterpump pulley area since I long ago removed that joke of a stock fan.

Hoping this keeps the oil from turning jet black so quickly and let it maintain the correct Ph. Correcting the three or four separate problems with the cooling system on my son's 383 70 RoadRunner made a remarkable difference in the oil cleanliness.
-Keith
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:13 pm

Forgot to add that I'm incorporating an access port on the oil portion of the intercooler at the highest point to help in filling it completely and remove any aircap. Decided that if necessary I'd remove the stiff d-shaped wire on the dipstick that sticks into the oilpan and substitite a flexible ribbon like most modern dipsticks now use. That will greatly aid getting it in and out of that cramped area by having it flexible too. What makes it really cramped is I've got a high cfm lightweight large diameter plastic fan on the alternator to make sure there is plenty of cooling air whistling through the alternator. The fan is within less than a 1/4" of the dipstick.

-Keith
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: