Battery Box

PostPost by: chrishewett » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:48 am

Can anyone tell me how the battery is situated. All I have is a rectangular depression in the floor of the boot with a couple of holes in it. Should there be anything for it to sit on and how is it restrained.
Thanks
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nygroup » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:58 pm

Chris,
Battery is held down by two "J" bolts, one on each side. Bottom of the "J" hooks into a bracket and the top of the bolt fits into a steel or aluminum angle bracket that fits across the top front edge of the battery, and is tightened by securing a nut on the J bolt.
steve
nygroup
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: chrishewett » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:58 am

Thanks for that but how is the bracket attatched? I had thought to take the J bolts through the boot floor but it isnt very strong. Is the bracket under the floor or glassed in?
Chris
chrishewett
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:31 pm

Hello Chris, there is currently another thread on this subject. I have a "restored" 69 +2 with a very snug fitting Optima Battery. The fiberglass seems very strong underneath it. The bracket can be secured to the car using J hooks or rods with nuts and threads on both ends. If the floor around your box seems thin, try large washers or a retangular plate with holes drilled in each end for the rods and mounted on the bottom outside. This will spread the load on the fiberglass. My battery is sitting directly on the fiberglass, a rectangular shim is a good idea as a filler on one side if your battery isn't as wide as the depression. Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: