Otter Switch

PostPost by: Elan67 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:24 am

Can anyone tell me the correct cut-in tempertature for the otter switch?
Elan67
New-tral

PostPost by: Bill » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:56 am

What is an "otter switch"? Is it mammelian and swims in the river?

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan67 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:25 pm

It's metal, plastic and rubber and swims in the top of the radiator.
Elan67
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:57 pm

If I understand things properly, and you've got a rheostat/thermostat control, I'd set it around 85' C. if you still have the belt driven fan installed. That's assuming you're talking about the otter switch turning on an electric fan at that point, that seemed to work for me. If your belt driven fan has been removed, then I'd set the electric fan about 10' cooler.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:34 pm

I don't think the otter switch is adjustable. I think he's trying to determine if its broke.

There should be no continuity between the electrical posts until the coolant reaches a certain temp, which I think is what the question is. Just to determine if it works or not, stick an ohm meter between the posts and put the other end in boiling water. Should get a reading of continuity then.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:03 pm

The otter switch IS adjustable, there is a little hidden grubscrew (see manual). This also tells you the temperature range- which I have conveniently forgotten!

The plug falls off continually, so tape it on is my advice.

Pete
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan67 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:22 pm

Thanks all.

The otter switch I have on my '72 Elan does not apear to be adjustable. It does work, but not until 96 degrees which seems a bit high. Hence the reason for my question.

I thought the temperature specs in the manual were for the earlier Kenlowe switch, but obviously I may have that wrong.

I don't know if they can deteriorate as opposed to just stop. Hate to buy a new one to find that I have (once again) spent money unneccessarily

Since it was mentioned, I'm curious. I don't have the mechanical fan only the electric fan. Is it recommended to have both?

Florida weather is getting back to normal and the cooling system is not all that happy about it.

Jim
Elan67
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:32 am

I live in southern Ohio where on occasion (not nearly enough) we have Florida like weather, 85' to 90' F. I had a thermostat controlled electric fan on a stand in front of the radiator on my 64 Elan and removed it because the car never seemed to run hot, it has an 8 thin bladed plastic fan with the stock radiator and no side baffles. I have a 69 +2, federal version which would overheat at 70' F if it weren't for the front mount shrouded electric fan which I hooked up to an unused butterfly switch on the dashboard and I turn it on or off as needed. It also has a belt driven fan. Both cars seem fine, even in ugly hot city stop and go traffic but I'd definetly have a belt driven and electric for everyday use in The Sunshine State. One otter switch system, whatever the thing is, may not be the way to go...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:32 am

Before I went for my Big Rad and header tank, I found that the standard otter switch would come on at about 95C. Like you I think this is a bit on the high side. I was not very happy with the marginal cooling on my S4 so I fitted a much bigger rad with a 10" electric fan. Under normal conditions the engine now runs at thermostat temp :D
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:35 pm

You can order lower temp otter switches. I had a 160 F for my Esprit here in Florida so you can get at least two temp values.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan67 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:28 pm

Thanks again!

Sounds like my switch is working at the designed temp, if not at a temp I agree with.

I'll start with a larger electric fan - any suggestions on source?

Then on to a bigger radiator if necessary and maybe putting in a mechanical fan along with the electric although I would prefer not to do that in deference to the water pump.

Jim
Elan67
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:01 am

rdent.com has an electric fan or two for elans. I still think a lightweight plastic fan on the engine is a good idea, I don't think it stresses the water pump at all.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:20 pm

I fitted a manual overide switch in my car so as soon as I get stuck in traffic I can switch my fan on before the engine heats up.I never did trust my Otter switch.
As it is fitted to the top of the radiator if you loose any water then it does not heat up properly which could be a bit of a problem...
I am always amazed it stays in as it's just a push fit with a rubber sleeve. I know some people hold them in with wire. I once owned a Scimitar and that had a proper metal bracket to clamp the switch in.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:34 am

Thank You pereirac, that's what I've got on my +2 electric fan, a manual overide switch, that, coupled with a plastic/nylon engine fan has kept things cool, there is no sensor stuck into the water other than the factory gauge which works fine.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: