Barking mad on starting

PostPost by: Dinorob » Mon May 01, 2023 10:07 am

IMG_2841.jpeg and
IMG_2841.jpeg and
Problem starting +2 s130/4 April 1972 I’ve not got much recent history. It’s coil / solenoid wiring problem I think as I’ve got a few old pictures showing what looks like a ballast resistor fitted on the coil but not after the engine was refitted.
I’ve got a white / yellow to the + side of the coil and white/ black to the distributor I’ve also got a white wire not connected to anything next to the coil from the loom I’ve traced it back and it is not connected to anything next to the solenoid.
The solenoid has live from battery plus brown going wherever the other side cable to starter then on spade white / red from ignition switch.
If I run a supply from solenoid to coil no problems but obviously to stop the engine I need to disconnect from solenoid.
I’ve checked the coil and I’m getting 10volts ( is it a ballast or 12v coil)?
I’ve tried a 12v coil with same set up same problem
Has the wrong solenoid been fitted and I need that white wire in the circuit or something else.
Regards Rob
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon May 01, 2023 1:06 pm

White wire by coil is or should be the + 12 volt supply to the coil, routed via the rev counter must be in place check it has + 12 when ignition is on.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Mon May 01, 2023 2:40 pm

The white yellow is carrying the 12v from ign switch the white wire just runs from solenoid area to the coil area not connected either end.
Regards
Rob
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon May 01, 2023 5:03 pm

OK, the white/yellow wire is the full battery voltage 12v supply to a 9volt coil in start only, the white wire, not connected, is the feed to a ballast resistor that would have be fitted and comes from the ignition switch in run position. Looks like you have a solenoid for a ballast system if so it will only have 12 volts on it in the start position but not in the run position.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Mon May 01, 2023 5:28 pm

IMG_2684.jpeg and
This is what in now thinking, I’ve just found a photo of the car when two owners back had it some of the wires are disconnected and have been removed by the last owner they rebuilt the engine but not wired it to run the engine now that I’m starting off the ign switch I’ve got the problem. In the picture I take it that’s a ballast resistor on the coil which is now missing.
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm

IMG_2685.jpeg and
Another picture
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon May 01, 2023 5:47 pm

Circuit diagram for your car shows a ballast resistor as part of coil assembly, so yes its missing worth checking the coil resistance with no connections made, around 1.6 ohms for a 9 volt that uses a ballast resistor.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Mon May 01, 2023 5:57 pm

I’m reading 3.5 + to - on coil disconnect
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon May 01, 2023 6:13 pm

So up to you if you want to keep a 3.5 ohm NON ballasted system. whatever, you still need a white wire feed from the ignition switch to the + on the coil. Red/white wire is the start wire not run wire.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Mon May 01, 2023 6:34 pm

I’ve got a supply from the ign switch to the coil white/ yellow and the red / white to solenoid the only white wire to the coil position comes from the solenoid position spade connecter each end. If I use that cable from the 12v side of the solenoid to the coil everything works fine obviously to stop the engine I need to disconnect it. But without it it’s hard to start and runs barking and spitting.
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon May 01, 2023 7:03 pm

Well now, Both coil and solenoid have been changed away from the original circuit diagram and it seems to a standard non ballast system. Circuit diagram shows the white/yellow wire connects between the solenoid and coil only, so a change has taken place when solenoid was changed, with what you have there is NO connection on the solenoid that will work.
ps. You may be troubled by the infamous anti-theft switch if you have one; it’s in the glove compartment, lots on here about it.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue May 02, 2023 1:12 am

The Basic circuits with & without the ballast resistor fitting. With a ballast resistor the starter solenoid has an extra contact which supplies full battery voltage to the coil, i.e it by-passses the ballast resistor, during starting.

In the above diagram the two ground terminals of the ignition coil should be shown connected together. The seccond diagram shows that part of the circuit correctly, except that the capacitor accross the contact breaker points should exist in both diagrams.

Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Tue May 02, 2023 6:42 am

I have decided to go with a ballast system so new coil and resistor will also replace the solenoid for the direct 12v supply on cranking.
Could you recommend a ballast coil and resistor please.
Thank you all for your input I’m nearly there.
Rob
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue May 02, 2023 11:22 am

Deluxe version if you can afford it, solenoid must be a 4 terminal type.
My choice but many many available.
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/lumenition ... &gclsrc=ds
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155212108616 ... 2310468992
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dinorob » Tue May 02, 2023 1:27 pm

Many thanks
All on order, I will update when fitted and hopefully sorts the problem.
Rob
Dinorob
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: