Re-Keying / Repairing WASO Steering lock / ignition switches

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:04 pm

Later Elan Sprints & Elan Plus 2 S130s use a WASO sourced steering column mounted ignition switch which also incorporates a steering column lock.
ColumnMountedIgnitionSwitch.jpg and

I had 2 assemblies, one without any key & one with a broken column lock latching mechanism. I searched the internet & found very little information on dis-assembling the steering locks or on re-keying the locks themselves. So with locksmithing advice from my brother-in-law I figured out how to take the steering locks apart & how to re-key the ignition lock itself. I have written up the techniques used & attach them here in the hope that they will be useful to someone else in the future:
ReKeyingAWASOIgnitionLock_V1.00.pdf
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 294 times
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:18 am

Thank you, Phil,

Most helpful.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bodmin » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:20 am

Well done for figuring this out and recording it for future reference. Extremely well written and illustrated.

I’ve done a cop out and removed my steering lock completely. I now have a dash mounted ignition switch on my new dash as per S4 layout.
71 Elan Sprint FHC Pistachio
36/0262E
Bodmin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:46 pm

Nicely done Phil. This just helped me immensely freeing up my frozen steering lock. I was able to completely tear it down and remove fifty years worth of stiff grease and pot metal powder build up. It's now working great.

I have a related question. Maybe you can help. The shaft that extends through the lock assembly to rotate the switch ends in a simple thin bar. The switch recess is a flat sided oval.
switch b.jpg and

Should there be a plastic or rubber piece that fits over the bar to adapt it to the switch recess? It works as is but seems to have quite a bit of slop.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:42 pm

Hi Bud, there isn't anything between the metal driving piece & the slot in the ignition switch itself.

The driving tang on your switch looks to be too small. Here's a photograph of the driving tang on the 3 switches that I have just re-keyed:
IMG_9531.jpg and

Having that driving tab would certainly introduce a ton of slop in the movement, could you build it up with JB Weld or similar?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Phil. It appears that my setup isn't original. I've had the car for forty four years and that's the first time I've been in there. Looks like a bit of fabrication is called for. :D

Where did you come up with three switches to rekey? Secret source?
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:58 pm

Bud English wrote:Where did you come up with three switches to rekey? Secret source?

Kinda took on a life of it's own as these projects do...

Needed a ignition switch anti-rotation bracket as mine was missing, bought a Europa one with a column & ignition switch... taught myself how to dis-assemble & re-key the lock... then saw other locks for sale inexpensively on eBay... so if anyone needs a WASO lock with key I'm your man! :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:07 pm

Surely most of these parts are triumph spit and easy to buy and cheap.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: