Removing Lock Barrel from steering Column Lock

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:41 pm

Bodmin wrote:Just as a small reminder to anyone embarking on this project (myself included), there is a very small pin which falls out while removing the barrel.

I only discovered it after the event laying on the workbench. The pin is approx 1.5mm dia x 5 mm long. It is a pivot for the lever which controls the locking shaft.

There was also a small spring in that round depression… hopefully you can find that as well… :roll:

I have my ignition lock apart now as well…
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bodmin » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:53 pm

I’m on the hunt for a small spring!
71 Elan Sprint FHC Pistachio
36/0262E
Bodmin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:52 pm

I have some advice from an electrical friend.

When dismantling items such as switches that have small components that probably include springs. Put the item inside a clear plastic bag, with your arms through an opening. Dismantle inside the bag, reducing the risk of loosing bits, you may not see where the bits came from, but this reduces the risk of loosing bits.

Hope this helps,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:49 pm

Bodmin wrote:I’m on the hunt for a small spring!

Here's what you are looking for:
IMG_7423.jpg and
Tiny bugger!

Funny Story: I tipped the components out on a piece of kitchen paper on my bench saw in the basement to take this picture; of course the small shaft that you warned about rolled off onto a pile of wood :roll: Took me an hour to find it, but I now have a much tidier work area! My wife thanks you... :lol:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bodmin » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:32 am

I haven’t found it yet, but my workshop is famous for washing up small items weeks after going missing.

Interesting that the tiny pin is asymmetric. I thought it was my eyesight initially, but seeing the picture you have posted confirms it.
36/0262E
Bodmin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bodmin » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:24 pm

pharriso wrote:
Bodmin wrote:I’m on the hunt for a small spring!

Here's what you are looking for:
IMG_7423.jpg

Funny Story: I tipped the components out on a piece of kitchen paper on my bench saw in the basement to take this picture; of course the small shaft that you warned about rolled off onto a pile of wood :roll: Took me an hour to find it, but I now have a much tidier work area! My wife thanks you... :lol:

6 weeks later the spring materialises under my bench drill stand. I think it was transported to another dimension for those 6 weeks before deciding my garage wasn’t so bad after all.

36/0262E
Bodmin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:45 pm

Bodmin wrote:
6 weeks later the spring materialises under my bench drill stand. I think it was transported to another dimension for those 6 weeks before deciding my garage wasn’t so bad after all.

Well found that man!!

About to take my lock cylinder apart with instructions from my locksmith hobbyist brother-in-law...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bodmin » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:31 pm

pharriso wrote:About to take my lock cylinder apart with instructions from my locksmith hobbyist brother-in-law...

May the Force be with you!
36/0262E
Bodmin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:10 pm

Figured it out & posted instructions here - https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=51638 :D
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:28 am

Maybe you can just leave the bits out so there is no steering lock.
When i move my Sprint about in my garage i get fedup with the steering locking. Having to turn the key to release.
Plus i think you could then have more adjustment in and out for the steering wheel.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: