Keys for Elan Project

PostPost by: EricB » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:36 pm

As I slowly progress on with my restoration of a '66 Elan S3 SE DHC, I have been trying to find the ignition key but so far I am afraid it has been lost somewhere during the many years of strorage and moving two times.

Can I just contact the factory with the VIN number and get a key or do I take either the ignition or trunk key assembly to a lock smith and get them to make a new one? I presume the one key would work for the ignition, doors and trunk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1966 Lotus Cortina MKI LHD
1966 Lotus Elan Series 3SE DHC LHD
EricB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:14 pm

The factory may not have a record of the colour of the car, the chance of them knowing the correct key number is zero.

You take take the lock to a locksmith or buy a new lock. I think ignition key is different to door keys but not sure for.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:34 pm

Mine is the same for ignition, doors and boot. D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:55 pm

If you remove the boot lock, carefully remove the lock barrel, the key number may be stamped on the barrel. If not on the boot lock the number will be on the ignition barrel or the door lock barrel. Somewhere on the forum, I wrote a long piece on this subject, if you search some of the articles you should find it.
Tony

Ps just found a link that may help, in the search box for the electrical section type in keys, third article down discusses how to find number.
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:46 pm

So that cars can be parked by Valet services, the glove locker & boot/trunk would usually have a different key, to stop the valet from opening them.

The doors & ignition might be the same key.

The barrels are a very common type used in many such locks and also office equipment, desks/filing-cabinets.

However the barrels only come out EASILY if you have an existing key.

~~~
I long since changed my door lock barrels to double-edged keys, for security. That once saved me a parking fine as the Police had been ages trying to find a key (on their large ring of keys) that would fit. They didn't succeed of course. :D
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:29 pm

billwill wrote:So that cars can be parked by Valet services, the glove locker & boot/trunk would usually have a different key, to stop the valet from opening them.

The barrels are a very common type used in many such locks and also office equipment, desks/filing-cabinets.

~~~
I long since changed my door lock barrels to double-edged keys, for security. That once saved me a parking fine as the Police had been ages trying to find a key (on their large ring of keys) that would fit. They didn't succeed of course. :D

Why would the police need a key to give you a ticket?
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:27 pm

Slowtus wrote:
billwill wrote:So that cars can be parked by Valet services, the glove locker & boot/trunk would usually have a different key, to stop the valet from opening them.

~~~

Why would the police need a key to give you a ticket?

Things wuz different that long ago. Besides Lotus Elans were top sports-cars in them days, I think probably one of the Policemen wanted to drive it to the pound instead of hoisting it onto a lorry. Instead of a ticket I got the then usual comments: "Nice Car", Wish I had one of them" etc etc.

The police were much more friendly back then.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:08 pm

Here is a good write up with photographs and diagrams about the Wilmot Breeden locks used on our cars, from which it is easy to see how they come apart and the different patterns of keys used
http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/12-body/wil ... -and-keys/
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: