Beware current LUCAS indicator stalk switch

PostPost by: RichardS » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:28 pm

2ED94433-EC55-438A-9308-9C6E1B8F4121.jpeg and
I had a fault in my original indicator switch and have had 3 replacement Lucas switches fail in the last couple of months.
The self cancelling cams are attached by a hammer rivet, and the rivets drop out very easily! Obviously a dodgy batch out there at the moment.
Fortunately I had my original switch restored after the first couple of failures (never throw anything out!) and have now put this back in place. I can recommend Andy Lockwood at CJ Enterprises http://www.classicvehicledata.com/
who repairs Lucas switches amongst other things.
Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:56 am

[quote="RichardS" Obviously a dodgy batch out there at the moment.

Richard[/quote]

Or, more likely, they've out sourced manufacture to India or China.

When I replaced the dynamo control box in my Sprint after a mere 30 years, the replacement lasted about 6 months. As did the next replacement.
What seems to happen in these companies is some wise guy, or girl, with a recently acquired MBA comes on staff and finds a clever way to save heaps of money by getting things made cheaper.
When the hard earned reputation of the company has been largely destroyed by the poor quality of the "new" products, and before it's realised who caused it, he, or she, has collected a nice bonus for the improved profit of their division, and shot through to another company which will inevitably suffer the same fate.

Just look at just about everything you buy for your car, and, if you keep good records as I do, compare the original's life span with that of the new part.

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Thanks for this post.

There are indeed some rubbishy Lucas copies being sold, but this is not a problem confined to Lucas. If you follow some of the episodes of the excellent "Mike's Restorations" on You Tube this is also a problem for 911 parts.

Andy Lockwood's business offers some interesting services - the drawing part interests me.

Andrew
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: