Need new starter motor

PostPost by: SENC » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:15 am

skelteanema wrote:I recently replace the Lucas starter with the Powerlite RAC472 when I broke an ear off the Lucas mounting plates during the engine reinstall. I wasn't having any problems with the Lucas unit, but I just couldn't find an end plate (or a scrap starter) anywhere. The RAC 472 was a straight forward swap, with only the hole in the connector tab needing to be enlarged slightly. It starts easy enough now, but the Powerlite starter is a lot noisier than the Lucas one.

What Lucas starter model #? Or post a picture of the end plate - I have a couple from spares, happy to send you one if it will work.

EDIT - just noticed you're in NZ... I suspect shipping might make it prohibitive.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:58 am

Hi All
There is nothing wrong with a standard starter motor, refurbish and save time and money
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:26 am

+1
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:36 pm

Hawksfield wrote:Hi All
There is nothing wrong with a standard starter motor, refurbish and save time and money

The motor itself is okay and will last "forever" but I have replaced a few of mine with a NipponDenso plus a small sandwich plate and the difference is night and day, going from sometime lugubrious cranking to instant(ish) starting.

One potential problem is the weight of the original and if not torqued correctly it eventually 'droops' and chews the teeth.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: skelteanema » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:07 am

Thanks for the offer SENC/Henry,

as you say, I think the cost of sending to NZ will be prohibitive.

Interesting thing is that about 10 to 15 years ago, I went to a local wreckers yard and I could have a choice of about 20 or 30 Lucas used starters straight off the shelf, I chose one with the least worn teeth and minimal play in the shaft. Going back to the same wreckers now and they have none, nada, zilch...got rid of them all as no demand.

I could have bought a Lucas replica locally but it was about the same price as the Powerlite unit, and I was wary of the quality of the replicas. I am happy with the Powerlite unit as it does the job efficiently but just doesn't sound of the correct vintag.

I know some old starters will turn up at swap meets and the like, but only when life gets back to normal.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:28 pm

On reflection, I have to come clean. :oops:

I have had four replacement ring gears and even more pinions. Much of the wear has been due to the starter bolts coming loose and ruining engagement, flanges have cracked and one eventually broke off! Fortunately I was able to salvage an end plate from a ruined motor.

The starter is dated 1971, so presumably not original and, on the recommendation of Buckland, I now fit a 10-tooth pinion and the engagement sounds far better than with the 9-tooth. However, you must be aware that I have a very high mileage engine.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:43 pm

[quote= "Quart Meg Miles"] Much of the wear has been due to the starter bolts coming loose and ruining engagement, flanges have cracked and one eventually broke off [/quote]

Yup and yup...
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Taken a while to respond.
One of the problems with these starters seems to be the current drawn and the grot that builds up on the shaft and starter gear. We all go through the same motions of checking connections especially earth connections chasing through current readings with meters etc, but one area that is difficult to check is the cranking amps of the battery. Although the battery may give a fully charged reading that is not the same as saying it has enough power to turn the engine over fast enough to start it.

I had this issue recently where it would turn over but slowly even after a recharge, but had learned this lesson many years ago, so immediately off to the battery man and got the battery checked with the more sophisticated kit he has, and sure enough, the cranking amps were well down and not enough to do the job, despite showing a healthy charge. New battery, immediate start with engine turned over quite quickly.

So before you spend hours checking out and crawling under the car, whip the battery to your local man and be sure your battery has sufficient power to do its job, saves a lot of time and head scratching.

By the way Senc if you read this is the offer of an end plate still available
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:28 pm

tonyabacus wrote:Taken a while to respond.
One of the problems with these starters seems to be the current drawn and the grot that builds up on the shaft and starter gear. We all go through the same motions of checking connections especially earth connections chasing through current readings with meters etc, but one area that is difficult to check is the cranking amps of the battery. Although the battery may give a fully charged reading that is not the same as saying it has enough power to turn the engine over fast enough to start it.

I had this issue recently where it would turn over but slowly even after a recharge, but had learned this lesson many years ago, so immediately off to the battery man and got the battery checked with the more sophisticated kit he has, and sure enough, the cranking amps were well down and not enough to do the job, despite showing a healthy charge. New battery, immediate start with engine turned over quite quickly.

So before you spend hours checking out and crawling under the car, whip the battery to your local man and be sure your battery has sufficient power to do its job, saves a lot of time and head scratching.

Tony

Thanks Tony, great advice. Batteries don't last forever.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:55 pm

tonyabacus wrote:Taken a while to respond.

Tony

Post or pm me a picture of the end plate you need, or the model #. I have a couple spare end plates and would be happy to share 1 if the right one for you.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:24 pm

If you're going to replace the starter why not go for a more modern technology. I have an Edge 1.4 kW 9 Tooth Gear Reduction Starter part no. CF003/9X from Cambridge Motorsport Parts Ltd. There are many similar starters all priced around £230 GBP.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:10 pm

Donels wrote:If you're going to replace the starter why not go for a more modern technology. I have an Edge 1.4 kW 9 Tooth Gear Reduction Starter part no. CF003/9X from Cambridge Motorsport Parts Ltd. There are many similar starters all priced around £230 GBP.

Why did you buy an old car in the first place? £230 GBP is still a lot of money to many people.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:28 pm

Powerlite also do refurbished original units for about £60.00, much cheaper than the gear reduction jobs...

I have also had a few broken end plates, I now fit large penny washers with the spring washers and thread lock the bolts!

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:47 pm

I received my Powerlite RAC472 from Paul Matty yesterday now my engine spins over nice and fast, perhaps there are cheaper options but I’m happy with what I’ve bought.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:30 pm

Great.!
Eric in Burnley
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: