Wiring up Hazard Lights on my Elan +2

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:57 pm

Tony- I do realize that what you have shown is what you think is a totally separate circuit. When you "piggy back" this circuit to your indicator wiring it is no longer separate. It becomes one circuit.

To made this work you somehow have to disconnect both wires that you have "piggy backed" into the indicator wiring when the hazard switch isn't on. If the switch that you have doesn't have two separate outputs, one for left and one for right, it won't work. You need either a double pole switch, as HCA has shown you, or relays to isolate one circuit from the other.

The flasher you have will work once you have the wiring sorted.

Edit: Give me a minute and I'll attach a diagram for using either a double pole switch or a single pole switch and relay (or relays).
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyT » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 pm

Thanks for your input, Craven.
If you go back through these posts to one from HCA on Thursday, 25th February in which he enclosed a simple wiring diagram, can you tell me what is different to this solution to the one I proposed in my last post?
TonyT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TonyT » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:17 pm

Thanks for your input, Bud English - I think I am slowly getting there.
My Problem is that I have a Hazard Light Switch with 5 terminals and I don't have sufficient documentation to know what each terminal does. If I take the 5 terminals in turn in a clockwise direction and number them 1 to 5, then the documentation only tells me that to have it wired up for the light in the switch to be on permanently, I need to connect terminals 2 and 4 together and the + terminal is 5 and the - terminal is 1. If I want the light in the switch to only be on when the centre is pressed - my preferred choice, then terminals 3 and 5 need to be connected together and the + terminal is now 2 and the - terminal is now 1. Does that tell you anything?
TonyT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:20 pm

Tony - I am on an iphone so will not go into any more detail.

Send me the wiring instructions, or a link to the switch and I will tell you exactly what to wire to where.

I am not too sure about the flasher unit though. For me, max 47W is an indicator relay. Each indicator bulb is 21W so if it were me advising you, I'd say nearer 100W (usually hazard relay is marked 4 x 21W + 10W or similar) to allow for side repeaters as well. I am afraid the seller was remiss to state it is for hazards full stop.

Send me the switch stuff.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:24 pm

Random numbers will not tell you anything. You need the internal circuit diagram of the switch.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:47 pm

HCA- Yeah, I forgot about all the side repeaters.

Tony- Here are the two circuits that I drew up. You'll see that my switch circuit is the same a HCA's. That's your best bet. If you have an ohm meter or some sort of continuity tester (a small battery and bulb), sort out what your switch does. Determine the internal connections of the switch you have or get the right switch.

As you can see in the diagram, relays get a lot more complicated and require you to cut the indicator stalk wires to insert the relays. I don't think you want to go there.
Attachments
Hazard-Light-Circuit (1).pdf
(40.28 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyT » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:28 pm

IMG_1973.JPG and
Thanks very much Bud English for the 2 wiring diagrams.
I agree with you I do not want to go down the route using relays.
HCA - With regards to the Flasher Unit I have, even though my car does not have side-repeater lights, it does need to flash 4x21W direction indicator lights, so the one I have bought is not good enough. At least that is sorted out - I will purchase a Flasher Unit to cope with 100W. With regards to the Switch, I only have minimal documentation and I need to find out if it is a double pole switch. I am not competent enough to check to see if it is so I will have to go to an Auto Electrician to see if they can check it for me. Alternatively, as you appear to be a very competent car electrician, could I send this Switch to you with a return SAE for you to check it for me to see if it is a double pole switch. Even though it was a cheap switch, it is only 16mm in diameter with a head of only 20mm and it will fit into a small bracket I have attached to the wooden dashboard on my Elan +2, so I would like to use it if possible.
TonyT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TonyT » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:38 pm

HCA - If you don't wish show you contact details on this website, my email address is [email protected] where you can contact me.
TonyT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:53 pm

OK, back now.

I fear that your switch is not a double pole. In fact, I do not know what it is. You need the internal circuit to know. And with your flasher unit not being correct, I suggest you start again.

I appreciate you are new to electrics and well done for having a go, but do use reputable suppliers who offer a back up service. I suggest you stick with Auto Electric Supplies, and start by ordering an all in one kit:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/ ... ategory/43

If though this does not suit, then ask for a hazard relay with minimum of 94W, and a double pole/single throw switch that suits what you want, and follow my first circuit.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyT » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:40 am

Hello HCA,
Last night I sat down with a pen and paper and drew up 2 different versions of your simple wiring diagram using a single pole Hazard Switch and then a double-pole Switch - seeing it on paper made me realise why the single pole Switch would affect the Direction Indicators by flashing all 4 Indicator Lights whereas the double-pole switch would not. Sorry it took me so long but now I understand. Also, I took a multimeter to my current Hazard Switch and checked every pair of combinations of the 5 pins and could only get a reading on one pair of pins when it is in the switched-on status which tells me that it must be a Single pole Switch, so no good to me.
However, with all the information you have provided me, I believe I now understand what I have to do, namely acquire a new 100W Flasher Unit and a new double-pole/single-throw Hazard Light Switch and then follow your simple wiring diagram you sent me in your first post. You stated in that post that it was a simple job to fit Hazard Lights to my Elan +2, but I never realised the importance of having the right Flasher Unit and Hazard Light Switch.
I believe that I have all the information now to go ahead with this task. I wish to Thank You for your patience with me and the time you have taken to coach me - I have learnt a lot in the last week and without your help I would have made a complete mess of it. I am glad there are people like you who are prepared to help others with a problem and as a newcomer to this Forum, I think it is superb.
Once again, HCA, Many, Many Thanks.
TonyT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TonyT » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:55 am

Hello Bud English,
I just wanted to Thank You for all the help you gave me to resolve my problems fitting Hazard Lights to my Elan +2.
Without your help and that from HCA, I would have made a complete mess of it. Thank you for the wiring diagrams you sent me and for also putting me straight regarding the fact that if I fitted the single pole Hazard Light Switch, it would have caused all the Direction Indicator Lights to flash when I want to indicate left or right. I have learnt a lot this week thanks to people like you and I now know exactly what items to purchase to get this job done - a100W Flasher Unit and a double-pole/single-throw Hazard Warning Light Switch - and so I feel confident that I can get it done.
Once again, Many Thanks for your posts - it is very much appreciated.
TonyT
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:23 am

If you really want to use your single pole switch then a Double Pole Single Throw relay will simplify the previous given circuit. You still need a suitable flasher unit.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyT » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:49 am

Hello Craven,
Thanks for this information. Yet another option to consider.
Thank you for taking the time to provide me with this and all the other information you have given me - it is very much appreciated.
TonyT
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: