Federal S4 & Sprint Wiring Diagram

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:20 pm

It has always irked me that Lotus did not create a complete electrical wiring diagram for the Federal Elans, it makes sorting out the wiring more difficult than it should be.

With that in mind I set off to correct the situation using the AutoCAD files posted by Gareth Flanagan on the forum as a starting point. Using the Federal Elan Plus2 & Europa TCS diagrams as reference I have added/modified the following:

1. Modified the Headlamp circuit to be Failsafe, incorporating the wiring that I previously documented
2. Added in the DB 10 relay with combined Stop lights & indicators at the rear
3. Added in the Lucas L841 Side marker lights front & rear
4. Deleted the front (separate) white side lights & added them into the front Lucas L692 indicator lights
5. Added in the Seat belt warning circuits
6. Corrected the SOVY wiring in the S4 diagram

Here is the wiring Diagram in PDF format:
S4_Sprint_Federal_Wiring_Diagram_V1.01.pdf
(447.92 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

Thanks to Greg Zelazek (gjz30075) for checking my diagram against his very original Sprint.

If anyone would like it in CorelDraw (CDR) or DXF/DWG format please send me a PM. Also if you find errors or have suggestions for improvement I would be happy if you contact me.

If I get time I’d like to re-do the wiring diagram to put all of the switches & gauges in the correct position for a LHD car… maybe when I have a spare week or 2!
Last edited by pharriso on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:26 pm

Monumental efforts Phil Harrison, Gareth Flanagan, Greg Zelazek etc.
Sure makes life more simple!

Kind Regards
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: geni » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:43 am

thanks for your proposition; I have a Sprint in LHD and I would also like to receive the correct electrical diagram because I have monstrous difficulties on this one which is however new but does not correspond (section of different wires and of different lengths to be extended or shortened! In comparison with the old partially burnt!
It is also difficult to put the dashboard in its right place because behind there is a bag of knots which hinders the correct position of the passage of the wiring between the switches and the other parts of the dashboard. . If a positioning scheme exists, I would be delighted!
( traduction par google)
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:28 pm

Geni, the wiring diagram is linked in my first posting, you can download it yourself.

I know what you mean about too much wire! LHD cars use the same main harness as RHD vehicles & therefore the main thick section only needs to be about 18" long, but is over 3' long for a RHD dashbaorad, so there is a long section that needs to be "lost".

>> If a positioning scheme exists, I would be delighted!

I've never seen such a thing, but this is the rear of my dash upon removal & fixing of issues:
IMG_0260.JPG and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: geni » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Thank you for your answer, a treat and in color knows grandiose,
What changes do you want to make?
I am also looking for the one corresponding to S3 if you know it (as precise and readable as possible would be the best.
Good follow-up and respect.
Gerard
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:27 pm

Just made the following modifications / corrections to the wiring Diagram to create V1.01:

1. Corrected Ignition switch terminal numbers (error in original Lotus wiring diagram)
2. Added optional Air horns w/ Relay & Compressor
3. Corrected Color Code on wire from Voltage Regulator (Brown/Blue)
4. Changed color of wire from Ignition switch to Tacho from White to Black/White
5. Corrected text box on Reverse Switch

PDF file in the original post.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: