barrel and keys

PostPost by: geni » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:44 pm

during the restoration, I must have lost my key (ignition switch fixed in the dashboard)
- few have removed the internal barrel, and what would be the procedure to follow, is there a stamped number?
- all your advice is welcome to reproduce the key
geni
geni
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Too late now but always have at least two keys!!

Alvis.01 - Copy.jpg and
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:26 pm

There is a number that will be on the tumbler. Early #s are on the face of the ignition switch, later ones are inside the lock. These numbers will be prefaced by "FS" and will be in the range of 850 to 950. If you are lucky enough to have had one key for ignition, door locks and boot lock, there will be numbers on them as well. If you have a S3 or S4, the number is stamped on the side of the stem, so if you have access to the boot, you can pull the handle apart and get the number. If you have to get the number off the ignition switch, you will find a hole in the outer diameter which will allow you to push a small pin punch in to release the tumbler.

Good luck,

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:38 pm

As Roger said ......

Ignition switch.jpg and
Ignition lock barrel(b).jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:24 am

If you have the barrel out, it is very easy to make a new key if you have a needle file and a blank key.

You are aiming to get all the sprung brass plates flush with the barrel when the key is inserted. It takes a bit of patience, but filing one groove on the key at a time, you can get a decent fit.

One point, I find it tough to get the barrel out without the key as the sprung brass plates can foul on the inside of the lock as you try and pull the barrel out. You have to 'stroke' the plates with a thin piece of stiff wire or a jeweler's screwdriver as you pull the barrel out.

Edit: I did add a link here to an eBay seller who is selling blank FS keys, but the link was intercepted (not sure if this site has been compromised), so just search on eBay for 'Blank FS key'
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:40 pm

My car, including the boot and glovebox lid locks, has been sat in boxes since 1980. The boot lock had a number stamped on the shaft so I took a punt and bought two FS keys for £4 on eBay. They arrived in two days and, after I had blasted to lock with aerosol oil, worked. Better still they also worked on the glove box lock. :D
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: