Replacement Headlight Switch s3

PostPost by: fattogatto » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:07 pm

I find myself needing a deeper headlight toggle switch for the S3. The new dash I bought, while very pretty, is too thick for my existing original switch. There are only two threads sitting proud of the dash. RD Enterprises sells the same unit. I do understand I can remove all of the fresh wiring and take the dash to a carpenter and have him carefully route out the switch relief on the rear of the dash. Rather not have to do this.

Can anyone suggest a similar two position toggle switch (with the 8 spades on rear) that will have more than about 1/4 threads?

Thanks,
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:48 am

Alternative, make the hole larger and fit a sleeve nut. Not too difficult to make look nice in polished stainless.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Do you think you can find a "Pilot Counterbore". Or a Twist Drill the Dia of the Counterbore and get the first part ground down to the Switch Bore size. Like a Pilot Drill. You can then just use a cordless Drill.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:46 pm

Thanks for suggestions. Lucas style switches seem to all have the same depth-of-thread requirements of my dash. In other words, the dash is way too thick.

I've ordered matching toggles from an aircraft supply place. They are not original but, seeing as all of my switches are 1967 vintage, I'd be surprised if they would last very long. The PO had changed the window switches anyway, so now they will all match.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: