Oil pressure line routing

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:24 pm

I am restoring a 1965 S2 and have just fitted a new dash but I am not sure of the routing for the oil pressure line to the gauge.

I left the dual water/oil gauge till last so as not to damage the the temp gauge line. I have looked though many photos on the web but have not been able to clearly see where it goes on the LHD car.

I have only two holes left in the fire wall one on the passenger side where I believe it goes on RHD cars. The other is directly below the main wiring harness on the driver side but it would come out through the wires from the fusebox.

I will try and add a photo. Unfortunately I could not get a good shot of the driver side. (Forgot to add that going through the passenger side, as shown in the photo, it is about 6” short to connect to the union at the block.)

Thanks

Ivan
Attachments
B36FBF22-8DF6-4416-B3A3-C0DD3DAA9C1B.jpeg and
Passenger side
Last edited by ivan.wood on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:43 pm

There is a vertical line of bulkhead penetrations behind the carbs. Mine ran through the lowest using a largish grommet with flexible center to seal from RD. The line then runs over the shelf of the heater box plenum to the LHS to the gauge. My RD line was just long enough. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Thanks John, that is how I currently have it going but through a hole in the centre but it is too short. As it is the original pipe it must have been routed differently.

Ivan
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Spent this morning re-routing the oil pressure gauge pipe. I routed it through the hole in the firewall directly below where the main wiring loom comes through and the length is perfect, just enough to get a P clip screwed to the centre off the firewall to keep it away from the engine.

Slowly getting closer to starting the engine after 34+ years.

Ivan
Attachments
image.jpg and
New Dash installed
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:13 pm

You can see mine (LHD Sprint) directly under the choke cable in this picture:
IMG_0930.JPG and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ivan.wood » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 am

Thanks Pharriso, I tried that configuration but the pipe was too short and since it came off the car 5yrs ago there must gave been a different routing.

I guess there have been various lengths of pipe over the years but pretty standard for Lotus!!!

Ivan
ivan.wood
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: