CAD Wiring Diagram (.dwg)

PostPost by: Funtime » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am

I've looked everywhere, is there a cad version of the s4 wiring diagram out there, I want to edit it to show my modifications, cooling fans, electric fuel pump, headlamp lifter etc.

Thanks in anticipation
Funtime
New-tral

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:21 pm

There is a link in the Electrical section of the Workshop Manual in the Wiki but it no longer seems to work.
https://lotuselan.net/wiki/Elan_S4_Wiri ... _CAD_Files

This thread may help ......
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=36033

There are several pdf files and one poster "theelanman" says he has a .dwg file of the S4 wiring diagram.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:01 pm

I copied off dxf file & dwg files in 2013 from here, unfortunately the forum is not letting me upload them... :roll:

Send an e-mail to pph <at> lionheartsolutions <dot> com if you would like me to send you the files.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David6 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:22 pm

Funtime wrote:I've looked everywhere, is there a cad version of the s4 wiring diagram out there, I want to edit it to show my modifications, cooling fans, electric fuel pump, headlamp lifter etc.

Thanks in anticipation

Sorry, can't help with that but have you any knowledge on how the horn is wired (1970 Sprint)
The horn works fine off the car.
I always thought the horn push put an earth on but one of the wires to it is an earth.
I get 12 volts from the fuse ok but when I put the meter on the other wire to the horn I get 0.11 Volts.
I'm guessing the might be a relay somewhere.
The car is negative earth therefore is the steering column button putting a positive or negative feed on.
I've not had the car long but it looks like someone has been playing with the wiring.

David
David6
New-tral

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:32 am

David6 wrote:
...have you any knowledge on how the horn is wired (1970 Sprint)
The horn works fine off the car.
I always thought the horn push put an earth on but one of the wires to it is an earth.
I get 12 volts from the fuse ok but when I put the meter on the other wire to the horn I get 0.11 Volts.
I'm guessing the might be a relay somewhere.
The car is negative earth therefore is the steering column button putting a positive or negative feed on.
I've not had the car long but it looks like someone has been playing with the wiring.

David

The wiring diagram in my Lotus manual shows 'Horn relay when fitted' - my Sprint has one, so I would guess you have one too. The horn push works by earthing the horn cable, so the relay will have one side of the coil connected to a supply and the other to the horn push - the relay is energised when the horn push earths.
The contacts on the relay switch the supply to the horn, so the horn will need a cable from the relay and a cable to earth.

I hope this helps.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David6 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:46 am

Thanks,
I;ll tackle it again today

David
David6
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Can I suggest that rather than adding your new topic to an existing one (CAD file for electrical circuit) that you open a new thread next time.... This keeps the forum better organized & makes it easier to search down the road.

Regarding your question, I think only cars that are equipped with air horns have a factory fitted relay, due to the higher current draw.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David6 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Yes I'll do that.
I'm new to this and just finding my way.
I have however found the relay and just now need to get an earth to the steering column.

Thank you again.

David
David6
New-tral

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:38 pm

Check the flexible joint between the column and rack (near radiator). There should be bridge wire across it, issues with it is the most common issue for lack of ground connection.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David6 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Thank you, job for tomorrow.
I got it working today by putting a direct earth on behind the horn push so your suggestion should fix it.

David
David6
New-tral

Total Online: