instrument lights

PostPost by: USA64 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:06 pm

I have opened my tach and speedometer because of a powder being on the inside of the glass. The powder proved to be the reflective paint on the inside of the housing which casts an indirect light on the face. I thought it might be of use to the less intrepid/foolish who do not open the works to see what was inside. In particular note that the light bulbs insert into a tube which approaches but does not connect to the lens. The final connection is made by a short length of white, rubber, tube which fits into the socket tube and over the lens back. I found one intact, petrified tube on the ignition lens, and one perished, broken tube on the high-beam lens. The ignition lens was completely covered on the inside so no light could get through. I wonder how much cursing of the electrics might have ensued when the light stubbornly refused to work after I had replaced the entire harness?
Attachments
P1010526.JPG and
P1010529.JPG and
P1010525.JPG and
P1010527.JPG and
P1010528.JPG and
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NedK » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:07 pm

This is helpful, many thanks.

I've become a bit of a fan of Serge Sleurs' restoration of his Europa, as shown in his many YouTube videos. One deals with the speedo & tacho. May be of interest to others...

[url]https://youtu.be/UyBWbNYvxhg
[/url]

All the best
Ned
+2S 1969 50/2283
NedK
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:21 pm

To add further, it seems that the inside is galvanized. This results in the paint (Rustoleum self-priming spray can) not adhering well. I think if I do it over, and I may, I will use a water-based primer (Zinzer Bullseye) first.
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:17 pm

If the can is galvanized steel, try muratic acid (usually used in ceramic tile cleaners) to etch the galvanizing, neutralize with baking soda and then prime for paint.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:55 pm

I sand blasted mine, no trouble with paint adherance after that :)
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: