Instrument paint

PostPost by: USA64 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:55 pm

I think the paint is to reflect the indirect instrument lighting. It is this paint not the instrument face that is flaking and getting on the glass on the inside. Has anyone dealt with this? Why is part blue and the rest white?
Attachments
P1010520.JPG and
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:42 pm

I’d take the entire gubbins out (so as not to get muck inside the odometer etc). Rub it all down undercoat and paint with a white or light colour to reflect the light. Maybe replace the bulb with an LED so never need to take it out again. Wet wIowa the instrument face and glass inside and out (wear cotton gloves to avoid fingerprints too.
that’ll be a really nice speedo when finished.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:58 pm

elanfan1 wrote:I’d take the entire gubbins out (so as not to get muck inside the odometer etc). Rub it all down undercoat and paint with a white or light colour to reflect the light. Maybe replace the bulb with an LED so never need to take it out again. Wet wIowa the instrument face and glass inside and out (wear cotton gloves to avoid fingerprints too.
that’ll be a really nice speedo when finished.

Does the outer case separate from the works then? Any springs or whatnot to watch out for?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:28 pm

Longtime since I did it but I think there’s screws in the rear case that release the entire mechanism. Take photos as you go.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:36 pm

Thanks! Yes, it's easy to get engrossed and forget pictures and just as easy to be thinking of the next step and forget where you file them!
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:54 pm

I believe the variation in the reflective back ground paint is to provide a more even distribution of the back lighting brightness around the dial. Blue close to the bulb, white further away.
IIRC, only tricky bit on removing the case is releasing the trip reset rod, there are several different arrangements.
Also, I think the hard black material under the glass is hardened soft mastic used to make a waterproof seal when instruments used open top cars.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:14 pm

If you only need to remove the dial then:-
Take the pointer off first, using one lever at each side. If necessary make suitable tools to do this, protecting the dial from scratches as you go. The pointer is a push fit on a tapered spindle.
Remove the two screws near the centre of the dial. A small watchmakers screwdriver is suitable.
Then the dial is free for you to work on it.
When you come to replace the pointer notice the calibration dot before the springy stop.
The pointer goes there when fitting it and then has to be carefully prised past the spring to it`s normal rest position.
It is not difficult at all, it is just knowing about it.
Best of luck
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: