Mis fire

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:34 pm

Glad that you found the fault! Many years ago I fitted a the body of a biro pen cartridge into the hole in the banjo union. The larger cartridges are a close fit, and they are stainless steel. I used epoxy glue if I remember.

Before fitting I drilled some small holes in the case, starting at about 1 inch up. The cartridge case then blocks any sediment from the tank getting into the fuel line.

Needless to say I took the opportunity to remove and clean the tank, then use the POR15 tank sealer kit on it.

There has been no trouble since in the last 16 years.....( crossing fingers)!

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alfadave » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Yes I blew back the line from the pump to the tank.

When I restored the car 6 years ago, I had the tank off, and swilled it out with fuel several times.

Does seem that the banjo fitting acts as a mini fuel filter?

I had 4 galls of fuel in the tank today, and when I slowly removed the outlet pipe, there was just a drip! It was completely blocked.

There must be a better arrangement.

But at least, if it happens in the future, I can go straight to it.
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Well done ...Pleased you found what was causing the problem. I have seen crud in the tank cause issues so many times before on old cars!

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alfadave » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:35 pm

From 1958 cars such as the MG Midget had the fuel tank pick up half way up the side, with a gauze filter in the tank.

Lotus must have been behind the game?
alfadave
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:30 am

Try getting the Banjo Bolt extended maybe 1/2" (1 cms) as suggested, that will only leave a small ammount of Fuel in the Tank.
An after thought is it black and the Rubber Filler Elbow degrading :?: with the modern Fuel :shock:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: