Faulty airhorns

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi All.
My twin air horns have stopped working.
They are FIAMM Serie TA with a compressor FIAMM Type CRD
Do any of you know the air pressure that is required from the compressor to sound the horns.

On bench testing at 13 volts the compressor draws 9 Amps and produces 3 PSI.
When I test the horns on a different air supply they sound correctly and as I reduce the pressure they stop sounding at 5 PSI. They each stop sounding at about the same pressure, which would usually suggest that they are OK.
So far this would suggest that the air pressure is insufficient.
I have stripped the compressor which is a vane pump type and it seems to be in excellent condition with no signs of wear. The air intake is clear,
I have stripped the motor section and cleaned the commutator. I checked the wiring to the segments and soldered over the crimped connections. It was very clean and looked near to new, with no wear showing on the carbon brushes.
It seems like the compressor is the problem but I cannot fault it.
If I knew what air pressure is normal It would help.
Any comments or suggestions welcome,
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Eric,
have you been putting a few drop of light Oil in the little hole under the Plug on the Top of the Pump :oops: Maybe it's been running dry :(
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:38 pm

Thanks Alan. I looked for lubrication holes, but there are none.
There are only two small holes for pins used to hold the brushes clear during assembly, but you would not want oil in there. The motor is sweet and clean and smooth running.
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm not familiar with the FIAMM compressors but i do know other types i've seen in the past do tend to stick and sporadically need taking apart, cleaning and resembling. As above the standard compressors require a few drops of oil (i do it as part of the annual service) and i know the standard horns can develop issues if they are faced forward towards the grill (they pick up lots of crud and rain water)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:12 pm

I had a similar issue when trying to bench test my compressor (not Fiamm but they are probably all much the same), it would run fine but not drive the horns .. turned out to be just an inadequate bench power supply and it worked fine when back on the car. According to the Fiamm website the compressor current draw is 17 amps so your 9 amps looks a bit low and it's possibly not running at full speed.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Thanks Roger. I will look into that.
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:04 pm

Roger, You have got it.
Although I was bench testing, the 12 volt supply was from the starter solenoid terminal in the car to the bench, as my bench power supply is limited to 5 Amps.
I wasn`t expecting 17 Amps, and my leads were too small producing volt drop.
What I didn`t do was measure the voltage at the compressor, which would have shown the problem.
I am not going to check the current as my meter is 10 Amps max, but the pressure is now 7 psi and the horns sound correctly.
So, the horns have had a service and I will now look for the original problem on the car wiring.
Thanks all, what would we do without you.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:10 pm

I replaced my knackered air horns with an eBay set at a tad over 16 quid Search for ‘dual air horns’ and just replace the compressor with the new one. My compressor had rotted out and just stopped working the tubing and horns were fine.
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks Matt, but I said that my horns were in good condition and working correctly. The compressor looks as new inside, without any signs of wear on the brushes.
I am still amazed at how much current they draw. That is what caught me out.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:45 am

Just for info, my air horns didn’t work and it was as mentioned, crud had got into the horn part and corroded through the diaphragm in the horn that makes the noise. I found that I could split the horn body and get brass shim sheet of the right thickness to replace them and they have been fine ever since.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: