Wiring Diagrams

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:47 am

Trying to sort out some of the usual wiring issues on my 1970 S4 Coupe.

Having read a number of postings about some of the issues, I noticed some have links, diagrams and pictures that have been posted over the years. However, some such as this one below have been posted as a .jpg picture but do not appear within the topic response itself, and appear not to be set up as an actual link. This is an example,
Elan_S4_Hazard_Switch.jpg

So my question is how do I locate some of these pictures referred to, (when putting it into the search box all it does is bring up the article again that I have been reading). Is there a file anywhere on the Forums where these pictures are held?

As you may guess from the above I am currently trying to sort out the hazzard switch (yes I found it under the dash!) but only found out what it was for after reading the forum, thank goodness we have so much knowledge at our fingertips via this site, so thanks to all for your input.

Thanks
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:20 pm

There are a number of wiring diagrams on the Forum. Usually as a PDF attachment, not necessarily a JPEG.

Here is one that I have found particularly useful, clear and color coded. (The hazard switch in on there, as well)

Lotus Elan Wiring Diagram.pdf
(131.77 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:36 pm

That's a nice one now in my 'database' - thanks.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:25 am

Thanks Townes, good diagram, but notice there is no reference to the heated rear screen as fitted to my coupe, so need to try and find a reference for that. Perhaps it appears on a Sprint diagram although as the coupe was in production for a number of years I am surprised it was not shown.
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:37 am

The rear heated window is a black-white wire. Even exists on my DHC but not connected.

Here is another diagram that includes it:

S4_Wiring_Diagram_Layout1.pdf
(847.66 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:40 am

Yes - I've used the HRW wire on my drophead to feed one of reversing lights as a fog light using a red LED.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:06 am

Thanks for the replies, 1Owner where did you find this diagram, not sure why but some of the colours do not appear to correspond, but at least it shows the heated rear screen which is useful, but I wonder where the switch was located. Mine has a proper rocker style switch fitted into the dash by the handbrake warning light, but I don’t know if this was a factory fit to special order or just a very neat solution by the previous owner.
Can anyone throw any light on where their switches are fitted and anyone with a similar installation to mine?
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:45 pm

The wiring diagram that showed the HRW was one of many available on this site. I used several different ones when I rewired my car. Generally color coding is consistent but there are a variety of variations in configurations especially if you decide to work in additional fuses and relays.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: snowyelan » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:08 pm

The best way I have found is to use Google. Type in "site:lotuselan.net wiring diagram" and then select Google's image or pic tab above the results. It gives you a quick visual of all it can find.
Scott
45/9011
Hawkestone, On, Ca
snowyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: