LGB Wire for Washer Pump?

PostPost by: awatkins » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 am

My LHD Elan has an 802 (+ALT) harness from British Wiring which I understand is manufactured by AutoSparks in the UK. My washer switch appears to have the Light-Green/Black wire to drive the washer pump, but I have been unable to find the other end of that wire. Can anyone with experience with that harness tell me where I would find the pump end of the wire? In particular, knowing what other wires exit the harness at the same point might be the ideal clue to solve this puzzle.

Also, if anyone happens to have this harness lying around I would love to borrow/rent/buy it for a reasonable price just so I can fully document it.

Thanks in advance,
Alan
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:04 am

Send auto sparks an email? I’m sure they’d assist.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 pm

The wires for the windshield washer pump come off the main harness along with the wires for the Sovy (brake fluid level, if you have one). The main harness then continues onto the front for the headlights, horn, etc.

Look for a small branch comprised of 2 or 4 wires off of the main harness, located in the engine bay.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 pm

This being an S3, and thus not having a Sovy, I believe it would not have the Sovy wire. Can you tell me what other wires exit the harness in that general area (i.e. a few inches forward of the bulkhead but well before the alternator?) I know about the three or so going a few inches to the fuse block, and the large branch to the passenger side. Mine also has a ~1" stub of three or so brown or brown/xx wires taped together but I believe those are unused "control box" wires. Other than that there are no branches until the one for the alternator.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Don’t think S3 had electric washer pump.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:42 am

It does appear on the factory wiring diagram, and in the parts book. What’s the evidence it did not have one?.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:25 am

We must first make sure of the model Elan, I have owned 3 1967 UK S3 Elans none of which had and electric washer pump, the loom I replaced on one did not have any supply wires in it.
Washer was by a manual push pump mounted on the back of the dash wiper control switch.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 pm

My question is about the AutoParks harness I have, not about the hsitory of S3s. My original question was:

“ Can anyone with experience with that harness tell me where I would find the pump end of the wire?”
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HJF » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Use a DVM, set it to continuity and just bell it out to find the other end. I always do that if it isn't a loom I created myself.
HJF
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:11 pm

Yes if you have wires at switch end then it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do a continuity check on every other wire on the appropriate side until you find it - it might even be the same color :) :)
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:28 am

I cant speak for this loom and it may not help much. I spent some time trying to figure out why half of my dash electrics (68 +2) wasn't working correctly. Eventually figured out that an optional accessory wire (heated rear window switch) of same colour as many live feeds had just been looped in the loom. It seems likely that you may find the other end of your wire bound into the loom, probably at the location where the wiring diagram suggests the pump should be... any contemporary pictures may help to narrow it down. Unfortunately this may mean the scalpel has to come out

Adrian
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:36 am

Which takes us back to the original question of where it might emerge on lhd loom.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:11 am

MarkDa wrote:Which takes us back to the original question of where it might emerge on lhd loom.

Which was answerd two days ago...

1owner69Elan wrote:The wires for the windshield washer pump come off the main harness along with the wires for the Sovy (brake fluid level, if you have one). The main harness then continues onto the front for the headlights, horn, etc.

Look for a small branch comprised of 2 or 4 wires off of the main harness, located in the engine bay.

So you're looking in between the wires for the Voltage Regulator (large, lots of Brown) & the wires for the headlight Relays (Lots of Blues...)
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:03 am

Yes - but the OP told us he doesn't have a Sovy.
Which rather leaves us with somewhere before the lighting relays.
I suspect it could well be at around the same place as the alternator spur.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: awatkins » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:48 pm

AutoSparks has just gotten back to me to say there is no LGB washer pump wire in the harness. They do say “There is a Light Green/Brown wire in this harness but it is Flasher unit to Switch, unfortunately this colour is used for Washer and Indicator circuits on many British vehicles of this era.” and such a wire is connected to my washer switch, so now my puzzlement turns to “how is it that my turn signals work even though that wire is connected to the washer switch”

Anyway thanks for your help.
awatkins
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: