Ignition Switch

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:44 am

Is anybody familiar with the ignition switch on a Plus2 S130? Recently doing some work on the electrics I took out the ignition switch. I noticed a small metal clip on the floor. Pondering what this might be, I thought maybe it was from the switch so started to look where it might fit. It looks as if it could fit into the back side of the switch. I tried to fit it there, trying both ways but there was no way I could get it to stay fast inside the switch. So I'm concerned if I put the clip in the back of the switch, as it doesn't stay fast, it could fall out and short out some contacts possibly. Alternatively, if I put the switch back without this clip, will the switch stop working at some time in the future.
The pictures show the clip, the switch and the clip placed in the back of the switch.
Has anyone come across this issue or have a Plus2 ignition switch in there spare parts' cache they could have a look at and determine whether there should be a clip at the back of the switch.
Or alternatively, could the clip from anywhere else around the driver's side of the dashboard.
Thanks
Graham
Attachments
IMG_5530.JPG and
Clip
IMG_5527.JPG and
Switch and Clip seperate
IMG_5526.JPG and
Switch with Clip
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi Graham,
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the switch but if you Google the part number (Lucas 157SA) visible in your photo it brings up several images and none show that clip. I would conclude it's probably from somewhere else.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Graham

It looks a bit like a 4 legged version of this carpet clip.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category ... -fasteners
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:22 pm

Two great responses. Many thanks.
I’ve checked out the switch on eBay and you are right oldelanman, there is no clip so I can refit the electrics without worry.
Lotusfan, I’ll check out the carpet.
Best regards
Graham
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:06 pm

possibly sits between dash and the switch (behind the dash).. to prevent the switch rotating when using the key. look for marks behind dash ?

edit.. possibly too small for that.. there is something similar behind the choke I think..
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 pm

wotsisname wrote:possibly sits between dash and the switch (behind the dash)..

S130 have a column mounted ignition switch. Well mine does and believe it is common to all S130 models from what I have seen.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: