flasher issues

PostPost by: wolfchen » Thu May 21, 2020 6:44 pm

recently my turn signals stopped flashing, I got a 12V flasher from local auto parts and lights work bit indicator in speedo doesn't light up, bulb is good and there is no current to socket ,checked connections but is there a specific flasher that works with the elan ?
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu May 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi
I also had trouble finding a 3 terminal flasher unit which worked.
I tried two metal can types and one black plastic cube type from the local car shop who were very helpful. There was no output from the middle terminal which feeds the panel light.
I knew there were no faults in the car because the same symptom occurred when tested on the bench and the indicators worked properly with a borrowed flasher relay.
I ended up with this :-
NAGARES ITE 3 12v/ 42-46-92 watt
From autoelectricalsupplies.co.uk 01584 819552
Supply to X
Load to L
Panel lamp P

I hope this is useful
Regards
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wolfchen » Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 pm

thanks for the heads up, as I am on other side of pond I will have to search in USA for a comparable

Jeffrey vogel
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu May 21, 2020 9:37 pm

Yes, I see, I didn`t notice that detail. You may still be able to get that one though, now you have numbers or borrow some on sale or return.
Best of luck
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:22 am

I recently converted my 67 Elan FHC to led turn and indicator lights (to try ease the burden on my 22 amp generator), and the three prong flasher unit I used, made by CEC, model number EF33RL, works great. It does flash for a second or so longer when you turn off the signal, but this is not a problem for me at least. I believe these are sold by Moss Motors, and I purchased mine on Ebay.
1967 Lotus Elan FHC Spyder Chassis
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Fri May 22, 2020 6:22 pm

When going to led a dedicated time based switching system may well give better results than bi-metallic strips especially on a dynamo powered car at idle.
Loads seem to be available on interwebs stores.
Not sure if they cope with tell tale though?
But the AES one does.

Do they click loud enough?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wolfchen » Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 pm

I am trying a unit from RD ent that they claim to work, I am contemplating switching to LED indicator bulbs but with other cars have had issues with flasher units and LED , they seem to require a different unit

JV
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:45 am

My model from CEC makes a pleasing click.
1967 Lotus Elan FHC Spyder Chassis
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: benymazz » Sat May 23, 2020 2:22 am

billmoore42 wrote:I recently converted my 67 Elan FHC to led turn and indicator lights (to try ease the burden on my 22 amp generator), and the three prong flasher unit I used, made by CEC, model number EF33RL, works great. It does flash for a second or so longer when you turn off the signal, but this is not a problem for me at least. I believe these are sold by Moss Motors, and I purchased mine on Ebay.

I use this as well with my LED indicators. The “flash for a second or so after you turn it off” is actually just the clicker clicking and dash light lighting up - I tested this in my garage one night and the actual exterior indicator turns off as soon as the signal is switched off. Odd, but that’s the way it is. You get used to it.

The click it makes is both audible and easy on the ears.

-Ben
1965 S2 26/4623
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
"I'm never gonna financially recover from this"
benymazz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 pm

Perhaps LED lights do not draw enough current to heat up the bi-metallic strip type units. This is the same reason they flash faster when one lamp is out.
The coil type are better and maybe louder.
Nomenclature (X L P )above is on North American units too that I have seen. The ones with a third terminal have a second contact for the indicator bulb, typically flashes opposite the lights, or can just connect the indicator to the lamp output on a two pin.
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: