LED Headlights - 2020

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:00 am

This subject appears not to have been discussed since 2016, and as the technology is improving almost exponentially by the year, I wondered if anyone is converted to LEDs (headlights) and has any comments especially if they have had the earlier, rather unpromising, conversions?

Thanks!
Hal
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:16 pm

I am putting some 5 3/4" hi/lo LEDs in my GTS. It will be some time before it's on the road so I know how well they work. If not well, I have halogens to plug in. But the LEDs are attractive to me. They should use little current and they have a halo that I can use as a running lignt and turn signal. I will want to be seen!

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: DavidLB » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi, I have tried HID but rejected them then put LED on they are great. I have them on three cars Elite +2, and a Salmson should you need to find a supplier the people who supplied me are excellent can recomend
David
DavidLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:01 pm

I did take a look in 2018, I bought some 7" LED lights from the UK saying they are EC complying and after arriving I saw they were not and returned them. I took a look at some other - mostly Land/Range Rover - 7" LED lights that could fit but they look horrendously modern.

Osram is making some LED bulbs as retro fit for H4:
https://www.osram.de/ecat/LEDriving%20H ... P_4059096/

Still not legal, but they say "will be legal soon" as even official institutions say that it would be good to have good lights in old cars. I think that is the way to go. Even if not legal yet.
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:33 pm

I have the Osrams as a possible on the list along with the new Stella, but really would like to explore what else is out there and someone to open up thoughts. I am not concerned about the legal bit. It always comes up but no one I have heard of have had them refused on an MoT!

David, yes please, I'd welcome an intro to your supplierif he is well versed in where it is all going. If you are happy with LEDs retro fitted to three cars is good enough testament for me 8) I had Stellas on my last MGB, but was not too keen on the little fan affair that they required - but I believe the new generation has moved on and are similar to the Osrams. I presume your supplier sells auto LED bulbs in general? - I have not yet ordered the little corner lights and might get everything in one package.

John, interesting your idea of 5 3/4s - I presume you will be filling in the 7" openings and mounting the lights on this fill, yes? Not bad thinking as I guess there is a much greater selection, and better prices, from established units. Where have you pulled yours from?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David1953 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:47 pm

I fitted some H4 replacements from www.classiccarleds.co.uk and am very happy with them, although they have only been out at night once so far.
A slightly confusing web site, but if you talk to them they are keen to help.
David
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Thanks David - yes, I have been into their website where they exude an air of professionalism, so will give them a call tomorrow. I do not see anything about sealed beam LED units in there. I understand that such construction is the absolute latest, and hope they can assist...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:24 pm

I changed all bulbs in my car with the exception of the ignition warning lamp with LEDs sourced from classic car LEDs about 18 months ago and am very happy with them and the service I received. I did headlight bulbs as a second stage of the project and used LED replacement H4 type bulbs. Again not been much night time use since but on the few occasions I have they've been great. I went for 'warm' white in all white bulbs (except reversing lamps as not available) to avoid looking too modern.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 pm

Interesting you used white bulbs all around. There was much debate not so long ago that LED bulbs gave better performance if they are the same colour as their lens- red behind red and amber behind amber.

Are yours good?
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:51 pm

I only used white bulbs where they're supposed to be white. All others are coloured LEDs appropriate to purpose ie red for stop and rear, amber for indicators and various for lamps in instruments etc. Where I used white bulbs I went for warm white.

I'd say mine are good and am pleased I did it. It's not noticeable unless you specifically look and then look very closely, but brighter all round and significantly less current draw.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:42 am

HCA wrote:...

John, interesting your idea of 5 3/4s - I presume you will be filling in the 7" openings and mounting the lights on this fill, yes? Not bad thinking as I guess there is a much greater selection, and better prices, from established units. Where have you pulled yours from?

Here is what I got:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-Switchba ... SwSBhbqrm5

The 26R style headlight is 5 3/4" mounted to a vertical blanking plate at the wheel well. I got the kit from TTR, which includes halogen bulbs. I can revert to these if I am unhappy with the LEDs. The original small light was I think a fog from Jaguar. Fortunately, it's a standard truck size here, so much is now available, but usually for four lamp setups. I had to do surgery on the TTR buckets to allow the LED bits to snake through to the rear, so weather protection is now compromised. We shall see how this works out. John

IMG_4117.JPG and

After a while I will likely replace all the bulbs for LED including these stop lamp bulbs. Those are temporary as I must refurb my S2 bezels before I use the originals.
IMG_4118.JPG and
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:17 pm

That looks good John! I did not realise your car used 53/4 as standard. So yes, you have a good pool to choose from.

I wish they had designed the +2 with fixed headlights.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 pm

HCA wrote:I wish they had designed the +2 with fixed headlights.

I suppose with LED technology a fixed-light modification is possible, but might take a lot of work to get the beams right for the needed balance of distance and spread what with the holes being somewhat close together and back a ways from the car's leading edge. But the upside is that the clear covers could be made from sheet material rather than requiring forming!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Don't put ideas into my head.. :D :D
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:16 pm

There's not much change in height from the leading edge of the opening to the back to allow much of a vertical surface. I've seen a photo somewhere showing it done using rectangular headlights and it didn't look right with the lines of the car.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: