Elan radio speaker position?

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:59 pm

Gentlemen,

My Elan is a1968 S4 FHC, an early S4 with the one piece demister grill, like an S3. When I took it apart, the radio speaker was in the dash crash pad underneath the demister grill. I made the rash assumption that this is the correct place, but after more thought, the radio could have been installed by any of the previous owners to suit their requirements at the time.

Where should the speaker or speakers be positioned?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:56 pm

'68 S4se FHC, the speaker was on the rear wall between the seats, facing the front.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:49 am

Speakers were probably installed by dealers not Lotus, so I think, there is no standard position.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:06 am

When I bought my S3 SS in 1979, there was no radio in the opening, but there was an old torn speaker in the center of the demister grille that said "Made in England". There was no opening in the backing board, just perforations for a speaker grille.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 2tmike » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:05 am

My early S4 has the same demister grill as the S3 and the backboard behind the seats has the 'preparation' for a speaker ie a hole partly but not fully cut through. Speakers themselves were bodged into the door cards so clearly dealer or other aftermarket fit. Now removed and more lightness achieved ....:)))
Elan S4
Elan Plus 2 JPS
MR2turbo
2tmike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:51 am

My 68 S4 FHC had a single speaker in the centre of the rear parcel shelf originally. When I rebuilt the car in 1980 I replaced this with two speakers in the rear vertical panel between cabin and boot as stereo had been invented by then :lol: . The early demister grill had space for a speaker between the vents but this was never used in my car.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:04 pm

My 68 S4 FHC also has the hole for a speaker in the centre of the rear parcel shelf. It was like that when I got it in 84 and is original (dealer fit, or original owner) as far as I know as the parcel shelf is, I believe, original. I had stereo speakers in the doors for a while but have since fitted a Turnolock radio with glorious mono and reinstalled a single speaker in the existing parcel shelf hole. There is no evidence of any preparation for a speaker in the rear backboard. The option of fitting a speaker under the demister vent is also present on my car (S3 style single vent as an early S4).
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Citromike » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:46 pm

Radio?

Heresy~!
Citromike
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nhhiker » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm

This is where a speaker in a '69 S4 with the 2 vents. The 2 photos show where they are.
Attachments
PB150889.JPG and
back side
PB150886.JPG and
nhhiker
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks everyone for your help.

It would appear that there is no correct place. I don’t think I will put it back under the demister grill, as access is difficult, the back board or rear parcel shelf seems a better option.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billmoore42 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:29 am

I just installed a Polk Audio Component Speaker system in my 67 S3 FHC, powered by a 14 watt RMS Pioneer Head Unit. I installed the two 6.5" woofers in the parcel shelf firing up towards the rear window, and the two tweeters in the vertical board behind the seats. The 6.5" woofers were installed in 5" holes I cut in the parcel shelf, and I hid them with black speaker cloth (no grills) so they are not readily visible.

I turned it on expecting great sound and it is not quite balanced, with mild thumping base and strong treble. I am in the process of adjusting the crossovers so the tweeters will be less pronounced. One thing that is obvious to me is that the stereo sounds quite good with the engine off, but the twin cam with twin K&N air filters instead of an airbox is quite loud in a good way, and the music competes with the twin cam, with the twin cam winning out when it revs over about 3500 rpm. I really don't want to get an amp as I have the original generator, which puts out a mighty 22 amps.

So still a work in progress, and I am still working on the sound balance which is a bit fatiguing. I keep thinking that if I had installed the two 6.5" woofers on the board behind the seats, the sound might of been more balanced, although there is hardly enough room there for the two 5" holes.
1967 Lotus Elan FHC Spyder Chassis
1972 MGB (since 1975)
billmoore42
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: