Anti Theft Switch Location?

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:00 pm

hubrick wrote:One more thing. The back of my tach looks much more complicated than the picture Roger posted. The wiring diagram for my Series 4 shows the high beam warning light, the ignition warning light, so when I looked and tried to take pictures yesterday, I saw that jumble of wires and couldn't see through them well enough to see the white wire connections. I'll try it again with the seat out.
Cheers,
Rick
70 Elan DHC

You mean like:
TachoWiringInDash.JPG and
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:32 pm

the difference looks like the bulbs, which are easy to take out and back in : iirc the red/white are instrument panel light and daisy chained from gauge to gauge (opening flush to the casing, which provides the ground), and the ones up a tube would be light indicators (high beam bluish green, and charge yellow/brown).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:07 pm

The tacho can be removed with dash in place, but under dash trim removed. You just need to remove the knurl nuts on the long studs (you can see on Phil's photo) on the rear of th tacho, these hold the clamps on, with the nuts and clamps removed it can then be pulled forward.

Just be careful as those nuts not a ground connection for tacho which needs refitting on install.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SGO 2F » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:51 pm

Rick,
The problem you are having appears to be the exact same problem I have had with my '70 +2S/130, complete loss of power while under power. While I was able to move with hot wired power directly to the coil, but my mechanic suggested the might be the tach, but I have yet to get it out for servicing.

Seeing your posts, I recall that most, if not all the cut outs happened at times of high humidity. I just spoke with a guy at an instrument firm who indicated that moisture can have an effect on the tach just like how I described it.

Hope this helps in solving your problem, let us know as you progress with your car.

Cheers,
Richard Shetler
1967 Lotus Elan +2 (050/0164)
1972 Lotus Elan +2S/130 (0239N)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
SGO 2F
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: